Delorme-Martel on her 110th birthday
|Birth:||21 October 1909|
Ham-Sud, Quebec, Canada
|Age:||111 years, 237 days|
Delorme-Martel was born as Yvonne Delorme in Ham-Sud, Quebec, Canada, on 21 October 1909 to Gustave Delorme and Eudia Audet. She spent most of her adult life in the city of Stoke, Quebec, where she married Enoch Martel in 1933. The couple had five children. She worked as a midwife, but would also grow vegetables and go hunting and fishing to feed her family.
At the age of 99, Delorme-Martel moved into a nursing home in Sherbrooke, Quebec. One of her sons, Gilbert, died in 2013 aged 75. A daughter, Denise, is also deceased. In 2016, when she turned 107, her daughter Nicole claimed that the secret to her mother’s long life was that she never smoked nor drank alcohol, and paid attention to her eating habits. One of her sisters, Simonne Delorme-Ducharme, died on 19 October 2016 aged 100.
Delorme-Martel currently lives in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada. On her 110th birthday in 2019, it was reported that she was hard of hearing and wheelchair-bound, as well as missing her home in Stoke. Three of her five children (Nicole, Jean-Marc, and Monique) were still alive at the time.
- Obituary of Gilbert Martel FICHE
- Bulletin Municipal (Page 8) Municipalité de Stoke, June 2015
- Delorme Ducharme, Simonne Nécrologie Canada
- 107 bougies pour Yvonne Delorme-Martel La Tribune, 24 October 2016
- Une Estrienne célèbre ses 110 ans Radio-Canada, 20 October 2019
- À 111 ans, une Sherbrookoise est l'objet d'un documentaire Radio-Canada, 22 December 2020