Childs on her 106th birthday.
|Birth:||10 August 1913|
Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
|Death:||3 May 2021|
Mount Pleasant, Paget Parish, Bermuda
|Age:||107 years, 266 days|
Doris Wi(n)nifred "Winnie" Childs (née Greenslade; 10 August 1913 – 3 May 2021) was a Bermudian centenarian who is currently the oldest person ever from Bermuda.
Childs was born in Devonshire Parish, Bermuda on 10 August 1913. Her parents were John Thomas Greenslade and Harriet Maug. She had eight siblings. One of her grandfathers moved from England to work in the Dockyard.
She attended Whitney Institute and worked at TJ Wadson’s, a bicycle repair shop, and then did book keeping at Bermuda Fire and Marine. She married Arthur Childs who moved from England to Bermuda as a policeman. He later opened his own locksmith and lawn mower repair shop on Serpentine Road. The couple had one daughter Patricia Leyburn. She got widowed in 1969.
She lived at Westmeath Residential and Nursing Care Home in Mount Pleasant, Paget Parish.
Childs died in Mount Pleasant, Paget Parish, Bermuda on 3 May 2021 at the age of 107 years, 266 days. She became the oldest person ever born Bermuda after she surpassed Gwen Allen age on 20 January 2021.
- ‘Secret to long life is not dying young’ The Royal Gazette, 22 October 2013
- Whitney Institute holds seniors tea party The Royal Gazette, 23 March 2018
- I feel good: Winnie going strong at 105 The Royal Gazette, 11 August 2018
- Special visit for Winnie’s 106th birthday The Royal Gazette, 12 August 2019
- Still going: Winnie celebrates 107th birthday The Royal Gazette, 15 August 2020
- Passing of 107 year old Winifred Childs Bermuda Ex Police Association, 7 May 2021
- Death date Ancestry tree