|Willie Mae Hardy|
Willie Mae Hardy on her 111th birthday
|Birth:||11 March 1908|
Junction City, Georgia, USA
|Death:||11 December 2019|
Decatur, Georgia, USA
|Age:||111 years, 275 days|
The daughter of a slave, Hardy was born in Junction City, Georgia, USA, on 11 March 1908. Growing up, she worked on a farm and in the cotton fields. She had to stop attending school in the 3rd grade to stay home and help her mother raise her younger siblings. In 1925, she gave birth to her only child, Cassie Neil.
Hardy moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 1939, where she met her husband, Frank Harvey. She joined Butler Street Baptist church in 1944, and has remained a member there ever since. Following the sudden death of her son-in-law to cancer in 1966, Hardy moved from downtown Atlanta to the suburbs of Decatur to help raise her seven grandchildren. She worked as a housekeeper for 60 years before retiring in the 1980s.
In her later life, Hardy lived with her daughter Cassie in Decatur, Georgia.
She enjoyed attending church, listening to gospel music, and watching TV. As of 2019, she had seven grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren, 30 great-great-grandchildren, and four great-great-great-grandchildren.
In May 2019, Hardy received free tickets to attend former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama’s book tour. She died on 11 December 2019 at the age of 111 years, 275 days.
- Decatur woman celebrates 109th birthday Fox5 Atlanta, 8 March 2017
- Decatur woman celebrating her 110th birthday Fox5 Atlanta, 10 March 2018
- Georgia woman turns 110 years young 11Alive, 12 March 2018
- Metro Atlanta woman celebrates her 111th birthday Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 11 March 2019
- 111-year-old Atlanta resident gets free tickets to Michelle Obama event Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 10 May 2019
- 111-year-old Atlanta woman who met Michelle Obama dies Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 12 December 2019