Walter Michael Bortz II, (born 20 March 1930) is an American physician and author who teaches medicine at Stanford University. He is one of America's leading scientific experts on aging, and promotes the possibility of a 100-year lifespan.
Dr. Bortz attended the Episcopal Academy of Philadelphia in 1947. He graduated from Williams College with a B.A., cum laude in 1951 and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1955.
Dr. Bortz is a former co-chairman of the American Medical Association’s Task Force on Aging, past President of The American Geriatrics Society and is Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board for the Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation.
His research focuses on the importance of physical exercise during the process of aging. Dr. Bortz has written 150 scientific articles for research publications such as JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, and Journal of Biological Chemistry, as well as articles in The New York Times, Washington Post, San Francisco Chronicle, The New England Journal of Medicine, American Journal of Public Health, and Town & Country.
He has written six books--We Live Too Short and Die Too Long, Dare to be 100, Living Longer for Dummies, Diabetes Danger, Next Medicine, and Occupy Medicine.
Dr. Bortz is the son of Ed Bortz, former president of the American Medical Association. Dr. Bortz lives with his wife in Portola Valley, California. He has four children and nine grandchildren.
A runner for several decades, Bortz runs over 10 miles per week and has finished in over 30 marathons, including the New York and Boston marathons.
- Paavo Nurmi Award, Runners World Magazine 1986
- University of California, San Francisco - Institute for Health & Aging, Distinguished Leadership Award 1990
- Kenneth Cooper Award for Scientific Contribution to Active Living George Sheehan Award - National Fitness Leader's Association 1996
- American Society on Aging, Presidential Award 2002
- Avenidas Lifetime Achievement Award, Palo Alto, CA 2007
- Reviewed in Levin-Scherz, J. (March 23/30, 2011) Journal of the American Medical Association 305(12):1244 and Krall, R.L. (April 8, 2011) "A Call to Reorient Healthcare" Science 332:177
- "Walter Bortz Podcast". Stanford University. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/science-civics-health/id385763110?i=93583582. Retrieved 2013-01-29.