Theodor Thomassen at the age of 107.
|Birth:||28 October 1908|
Sorvagur, Faroe Islands
|Death:||9 March 2016|
Sorvagur, Faroe Islands
|Age:||107 years, 133 days|
Theodor Thomassen (28 October 1908 – 9 March 2016) was a Faroese centenarian who is the oldest known person ever from the Faroe Islands, dying at the age of 107 years, 133 days.
Theodor Thomassen was born on 28 October 1908 in Sorvagur, Faroe Islands. In 1940, he married Nencia Hansen and had 10 children with her. The couple built several houses during their 47-year marriage. Aside from house building, Theodor worked as a craftsman. Nencia passed away in 1987, leaving Theodor a widower.
Theodor also had his own shop near his home in Sorvagur. He had his own boat which he would go fishing in along the coast until he was 95 years old. He also was a Sunday School teacher for many years. During his centenarian years, he lived with his daughter Elisa.
On his 105th birthday, Theodor said that he did not expect to reach such an age due to his father dying aged 48, and one of his uncles only lived until he was 31. In mid-2014, when he reached the age of 105 years, 324 days, he surpassed the age of Johannes Tauser (1902–2008) and became the oldest Faroese man (and person) ever.
Theodor was also asked what he had eaten during his life. He replied that he had caught fish in his boat and eaten it in all sorts of ways (dried, salted, fresh etc.) and also made fish meatballs and buns. He had always eaten a lot of grind (meat and sprouts from grindehval).
On his 107th birthday, he had around 100 descendants. He was asked his secret to his long life. His reply was that he had no secret, but he quoted two verses from the Danish hymn, Tag Jesus med, written by Adolf Langsted in 1895:
- Tag Jesus med, hvorhen du længes,
- da bliver du så let i sind.
- Og hvor din frelser ude stænges,
- der skal du ikke selv gå ind.
- Tag Jesus med hvorhen du farer,
- så skal du aldrig fare vild.
- Da vogter på dig engleskarer,
- om verden lukker øjet til!
Theodor Thomassen passed away on 9 March 2016 in Sorvagur, Faroe Islands, at the age of 107 years, 133 days. He was buried six days later, on 15 March 2016.
- Uppskriftin er at vera fornøjaður KVF, 28.10.2013
- Theodor (105 ár): - Best at befinna seg gott Portal, 28.10.2013
- 107 eftirkomarar: Føroya elsti 105 ár í dag KVF, 28-10-2013
- Elsti føroyingur: Theodor hevur livað í 38.495 dagar Portal, 21.03.2014
- Theodor Thomassen er elsti føroyingur nakrantíð in.fo, 28.10.2014
- Fleiri og fleiri føroyingar gerast 100+ Portal, 31.10.2014
- Føroya elsti: Í dag fyllir hann 107 ár KVF, 28.10.2015
- Elsti føroyingurin deyður KVF, 10.03.2016
- Seinasta heilsanin frá Føroya elsta manni Portal, 19.03.2016
|Faroe Islands’ Oldest Living Person Titleholders (V • E)|