Ralph Hoare at the age of 109
|Birth:||19 July 1908|
Plymouth, England, UK
|Death:||29 January 2019|
Gloucester, England, UK
|Age:||110 years, 194 days|
Hoare was born in Plymouth, Devon, England, on 19 July 1908. He had vivid memories of the First World War into old age, including hiding under the kitchen table with a pillow on his head during air raids.
Before serving in the RAF, Hoare worked as a bank clerk. During this time he met T.E. Lawrence, otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia, as well as writer Evelyn Waugh. He met his wife Dorothy in the 1930s, and they married nine years later. Their marriage lasted for seven decades.
Hoare had had an interest in horse racing since the beginning of the Second World War, and in March 2018, at the age of 109, he was invited to attend the Cheltenham Festival. He also enjoyed playing the piano, gardening, and golf, which he continued to play as a centenarian.
Hoare became a supercentenarian in July 2018. He lived in Gloucester, England, where he had lived since 1956. His daughter Kate regularly visited to help care for him. He died in Gloucester, England on 29 January 2019 aged 110 years, 194 days. He was the third-oldest man in Britain, behind Bob Weighton and Alf Smith, at the time of his death.
- Sugar, gardening and golf: The secrets to the long life of Gloucestershire's oldest man who has died aged 110 Gloucestershire Live, 15 February 2019
- Britain's Oldest Racing Fan Sadly Passes Away At Age of 110 The Winner’s Enclosure, February 2019
- Memories of Ralph aged 110 Sunday Mirror, 11 November 2018
- 109-year-old Ralph Hoare shows you're never too old to come to the festival Racing Post, 11 March 2018
- Gardener Ralph Hoare, 104 shares tips on Twitter BBC News, 1 April 2013
- 104 year old grandpa improvises on the piano Youtube, 16 January 2013
- Oldest in Britain