|Birth:||20 October 1885|
Soer-Odal, Oestlandet, Norway
|Death:||22 September 1996|
Williston, North Dakota, USA
|Age:||110 years, 338 days|
Nels Berger (born Nils Berger; 20 October 1885 – 22 September 1996) was a Norwegian-American supercentenarian whose age is currently pending validation by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
Berger was born on 20 October 1885 in Soer-Odal, Oeslandet, Norway and moved to the United States in 1905. He settled in North Dakota, where he married Tilla Melland. The couple had three children: Norma, Thelma, and Harold. They later adopted Tilla's nephew, Lester Stensaker, whose parents had died when he was a child.
In his later life, Berger lived in a nursing home in Williston, North Dakota. He died on 22 September 1996 at the age of 110 years, 338 days. At the time of his death, he was the oldest living Norwegian-born person, the second-oldest Norwegian-born man ever (behind Herman Smith-Johannsen) and the fifth-oldest Norwegian-born person ever.
- Nels Berger Obituary, The Bismarck Tribune, 26 September 1996
- Nils Berger Nils Berger, Geni.com
- Supercentenarian Historical Claims (Nels Berger at number 524)
- SAH, Sør-Odal prestekontor, H/Ha/Haa/L0005: Parish register (official) no. 5, 1876-1885, p. 191 The National Archives of Norway
- Lester Leonard Berger (1921-2003) Find a Grave