|Birth:||26 January 1909?|
|Death:||11 May 2021|
English River, Mahe, Seychelles
|Age:||112 years, 105 days?|
Nancy Marie (26 January 1909? – 11 May 2021) was a Seychellois supercentenarian claimant whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). She was the first supercentenarian claimant from the Republic of Seychelles.
Nancy Marie claims to have been born in Baie Sainte Anne, Praslin, Seychelles on 26 January 1909. Marie’s mother, Elizabelle Marie, died at the age of 103. Marie spent the earliest years of her long life on Praslin and worked in a local factory that made coconut oil from the coconut plantations. At the age of 17, she moved to the island of Mahe, in the northern district of Beau Vallon, where she worked as a laundress, washing and ironing clothes for a minimal fee.
Marie had four children: two girls and two boys. At the age of 106, Marie used to attend the nearby church of Bel Ombre, particularly when there was a special mass for the sick and the elderly. According to her daughter, Anne, Marie’s longevity is attributed the same healthy habits practised by most of her other peers who made it over the 100-year mark: no alcohol and no smoking. At the time of her 108th birthday, she had two living children: Guy (aged 66), and Anne (aged 63), several grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. In March 2018, Marie attended the official launching ceremony for the 2018 National Theme, "Sesel mon Pei Beni" at the International Conference Centre Seychelles. In January 2019, she celebrated her claimed 110th birthday and became the first supercentenarian claimant from the Seychelles.
Marie died in La Riviere Anglaise (English River), Mahe, Seychelles, on 11 May 2021 at the claimed age of 112 years, 105 days. At the time of her death, she lived with her daughter, Anne Marie.
- 106 and still going strong! Boiled cassava and no alcohol is Nancy Marie’s recipe for long life Seychelles News Agency, 27 January 2015
- 108 candles: Seychelles' oldest woman celebrates another happy birthday Seychelles News Agency, 30 January 2017
- 2018 national theme officially launched Nation, 17 March 2018
- LSH Editorial Team wishes Seychelles' oldest citizen, Nancy Marie a happy birthday. Facebook, 26 January 2019
- Seychelles oldest citizen celebrates milestone birthday: 111 Seychelles News Agency, 27 January 2020
- Seychelles oldest citizen turns 112 Seychelles Nation, 27 January 2021
- Nancy Marie, 1909-2021: Seychelles' oldest citizen passes away at age 112 Seychelles News Agency, 11 May 2021