Namie Takaki at age 110 in September 2019.
|Birth:||11 October 1908|
|Death:||28 February 2020|
Tamana, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan
|Age:||111 years, 140 days|
Namie Takaki was born on 11 October 1908 in Japan. She moved to Taiwan with her father at a young age. Takaki worked as an elementary school teacher in Taichung, Taiwan, before World War II, when the island was under Japanese rule. She returned to Japan in 1939 after teaching for about ten years.
In February 2015, 106-year-old Takaki wrote a letter to one of her former students in Taiwan. News outlets picked up the story, and efforts were made to locate her former students. On 8 September, about 20 of her former students video-called Takaki from Taiwan; Asahi Shimbun reported on this “80-year reunion.”
In 2017, Takaki received a letter of appreciation from Taiwan for her contributions to modern Taiwanese education.
Takaki became a supercentenarian in October 2018. In September 2019, she was reported as the second-oldest person in Kumamoto Prefecture, behind Chie Ogata of Minamata.
Takaki died in Tamana, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan on 28 February 2020 at the age of 111 years, 140 days.
- 大台中新聞-烏日郵差送日本老師尋生信 Youtube, 27 March 2015
- 奇跡重なり８０年ぶり再会 １０６歳元教師と台湾教え子 Asahi Shimbun, 9 September 2015
- 髙木波惠さんへ台湾政府から感謝状 (Pg 7) Tamana City, September 2017
- 熊本）陳処長夫婦が訪問 台湾の教え子と交流の高木さん Asahi Shimbun, 9 November 2018
- ユースからの情報 2019.9.14 (Archive) Blog, 14 September 2019
- 伝書ネコ」と交流・教え子と再会 熊本の111歳死去 Asahi, 29 February 2020