Meta Reed on her 106th birthday.
|Birth:||13 March 1913|
Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa
|Age:||108 years, 192 days|
Meta Reed (born 13 March 1913) is a South African centenarian who is one of the oldest known survivors of COVID-19, having recovered from the disease at the age of 107. She is the maternal great-grandmother of rapper AKA.
Meta Reed was born in Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa on 13 March 1913, the eldest of 10 children. At age 16, she started working at the Parkview Hotel in Kimberley.
She married Alan Michael, who was also Kimberley-born. They lived for many years at 8 Halkett Road before they were “put out of home” under the apartheid Group Areas Act.
The couple who had two children, spent 16 years in the Cape, before coming back to Kimberley. Her husband died around 2005. His son Derrick Reed died on 30 January 2020.
Reed was admitted to Mediclinic Gariep on 4 August 2020 with very mild symptoms after testing positive for Covid-19; however, as of 4 August 2020, she recovered, although the doctors are keeping her in hospital as she has a mild infection.
Meta Reed currently lives at Belgrave Lodge in Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa, at the age of 108 years, 192 days.
- Tannie Reed het vandag 105 jaar oud geword ACVV Kimberley on Facebook, 13 March 2018
- AKA Celebrates Great Grandmothers 105th Birthday in the City SolomonStar, 24 March 2018
- AKA celebrates his great grandmother 107th birthday with pride Briefly, 17 March 2020
- 107-year-old 'ouma' survives Covid-19 DFA, 14 August 2020
- AKA Grateful His 107 Year Old Great Grandmother Beat Covid-19 ZAlebs, 16 August 2020