Willis at the age of 110 in February 2021
|Birth:||18 March 1910|
Peckham, London, England, UK
|Age:||111 years, 88 days|
Willis was born on 18 March 1910 in Peckham, London, England. Her mother lived to the age of 98 and her father lived to the age of 86. Willis remembers the First World War, in which her father served in the Royal Navy.
Willis married her husband, Fred, in 1933, and they had one daughter, Vera. They were married for 57 years and spent much of their marriage living in Orpington, Kent, England. Willis had a passion for gardening and playing bridge. She and her husband also loved dogs, and over the years they had three German shepherds and several rescue dogs.
In 1971, Willis and her husband moved to a bungalow in Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, England. After husband's death, she moved in to a nearby apartment, where she still lives independently. On her 110th birthday in March 2020, she stated that she never smoked or drank alcohol and has "enjoyed every minute" of her life.
In February 2021, a month before her 111th birthday, Willis stated that she had been given a vaccination against COVID-19, and encouraged others to get one too.
- All Validated Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain
- 'I'm 110 and I've enjoyed every moment.' BBC News, 18 March 2020
- Bexhill supercentenarian marks her 110th birthday Bexhill-on-Sea Observer, 27 March 2020 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Pensioner celebrates 110th birthday in lockdown and says ‘stay cheerful’ Metro, 29 March 2020
- May Willis: 'I'm almost 111 and make the most of what I've got' BBC News, 21 February 2021