Oliva at age 110
|Birth:||16 April 1909|
Piazza Armerina, Enna, Sicily, Italy
|Age:||112 years, 58 days|
Maria Oliva (born 16 April 1909), known as "Grandma Marietta" is an Italian supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). She is the oldest living person in Italy.
Maria Oliva was born in Piazza Armerina, Enna, Sicily, Italy on 16 April 1909. She had seven siblings: the last surviving, Lucia, died in March 2021 at the age of 99 in Torino. She survived the Spanish flu in 1918.
Oliva married in 1925, and moved in Monte neighborhood. She had eight children (three are dead as of 2021), who gave her 58 grandchildren and great-grandchildren (as of 2021). Her husband died in 1975. The secret of her longevity is an healthy alimentation, with the countryside's vegetables, that she picked up until she couldn't.
Oliva is a fervent believer. In September 2018, aged 109, she met Pope Francis during his visit in Piazza Armerina. In the front row, she was determined to meet him, and the Pope shaked her hand. It was the last time she left her house.
Aged 111, Oliva became the oldest living person in Italy following the death of Erminia Bianchini on 23 June 2020. Oliva was reported to be lucid, and can remember things well; however, she was bedridden. On 14 April 2021, she was visited by Nino Cammarata, the mayor of Piazza Armerina, who gave her flowers.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Oliva will celebrate her 112th birthday in restricted committee, with her daughter Nunzia and some of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Actually, she haven't been vaccinated against COVID-19, her family being waiting the doctor's mind.
Oliva lives in Piazza Armerina, Enna, Sicily, Italy, at the age of 112 years, 58 days.
- Lei è la signora Maria Oliva di Piazza Armerina (Sicilia), età 109 anni e 4 mesi! Supercentenari d'Italia on Facebook, 8 August 2018
- Nonna Maria Oliva spegne le 110 candeline Nobile Quartiere Monte Mira, 16 April 2019
- Dalla spagnola al coronavirus, a Piazza Armerina i 111 anni di nonna Marietta GdS, 17 April 2020
- The Super Grandma Of Italy Who Beats The Coronavirus At 111! Thinking Humanity, 18 April 2020
- A Piazza Armerina la “nonna d'Italia” festeggia il traguardo dei 112 anni La Sicilia, 13 April 2021
- Festa per i 112 anni di nonna Marietta: è in Sicilia la donna più anziana d’Italia La Stampa, 15 April 2021