|Maria Branyas Morera|
Branyas Morera on her 113th birthday in 2020
|Birth:||4 March 1907|
|Age:||113 years, 323 days|
Maria Branyas Morera (born 4 March 1907) is a Mexican-born Spanish supercentenarian who is the oldest living person in Spain. She is also the oldest living person known to have survived COVID-19, which she contracted at the age of 113 in April 2020. Until December 2020, she was the survivor who was the oldest at the time of recovering from the disease, but this accolade now belongs to Casilda Benegas.
Branyas Morera's age is currently pending validation by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
Maria Branyas Morera was born in Mexico on 4 March 1907. Her family emigrated to San Francisco, California, USA in 1909, and then to Olot, Catalonia, Spain, in 1915. She had three children.
In 2000, when she was 93, Branyas Morera moved into a care home in Olot. At the age of 110, she reportedly still read the newspaper every day. On 22 December 2019, Branyas Morera became the oldest known living person in Spain following the death of Josefa Santos Gonzalez. As of 2019, she had 11 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
In April 2020, at the age of 113, Branyas Morera tested positive for COVID-19, but successfully recovered. She is currently the oldest recorded survivor of the disease. In a subsequent interview with the Observer, Branyas Morera called for a revolution in treatment of the elderly, saying “This pandemic has revealed that older people are the forgotten ones of our society. They fought their whole lives, sacrificed time and their dreams for today’s quality of life. They didn’t deserve to leave the world in this way.”
- 1910 U.S. Census FamilySearch
- CELEBRACION MÁS QUE CENTENARIA Residencia Tura, 16 March 2016
- Maria Branyes, la persona més gran de la Garrotxa, compleix 110 anys Olot Televisio, 4 March 2017 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Avui he felicitat en nom Olotuit a la Sra. Maria Branyas, que feia 110 anys... @EstanisVayreda on Twitter, 4 March 2017
- Maria Branyas es, con 112 años y 5 meses, la catalana de más edad El Periódico, 18 August 2019
- María Branyas, la anciana más longeva de España con 113 años, supera el coronavirus Mundo Deportivo, 11 May 2020
- 113-year-old coronavirus survivor: ‘The elderly are the forgotten ones of society’ The Observer, 16 May 2020
|Spain's Oldest Living Person Titleholders (V • E)|
Josefa Salas Mateo • Policarpa Perez Exposito • Josefa Llovet Llovet • Ramona Agudin-Fernandez • Antonia Diaz Garcia • Soledad Munoz • Salustiano Alvarez • Isabel Guijarro • Telesfora de la Torre-Mendizabal • Paulina Garcia-Lozano • Maria Villar Trespalacios • Aurelio Diaz • A. L. M. • Galo Leoz-Ortin • Maria Antonia Castro • Maria del Carmen Lopez • Gregorio Merino • Gabriela Izquierdo • F. M. M. • Antonio Urrea-Hernandez • Maria Esperanza Onieva • Joan Riudavets-Moll • Jorja Hernando • Victoriana Vazquez Barrero • Lucia Madaria-Vesga • Manuela Fernandez-Fojaco • Teresa Dosaigues Abella • Andresa Guerrero-Ortiz • Felipa Gutierrez • Rosa Martinez • Francisco Fernandez • Francisca Garcia-Torres • Ana Vela-Rubio • Magdalena Oliver Gabarro • Josefa Santos Gonzalez • Maria Branyas Morera