|Maria Branyas Morera|
Branyas Morera on her 113th birthday in 2020
|Birth:||4 March 1907|
|Age:||114 years, 102 days|
Maria Branyas Morera (born 4 March? 1907) is a American-born Spanish supercentenarian who is the oldest living person in Spain. She is also among the oldest living people known to have survived COVID-19, which she contracted at the age of 113 in April 2020.
Branyas Morera's age is currently pending validation by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
Maria Branyas Morera was born in the United States either on 4 March 1907 or 1 April 1907. Her family emigrated to San Francisco, California, USA in 1906, and then to Olot, Catalonia, Spain, in 1915. She had three children.
In 2000, when she was 93, Branyas Morera moved into a care home in Olot. At the age of 110, she reportedly still read the newspaper every day. On 22 December 2019, Branyas Morera became the oldest known living person in Spain following the death of Josefa Santos Gonzalez. As of 2019, she had 11 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. She is the last (known) living person in Europe born in 1907.
In April 2020, at the age of 113, Branyas Morera tested positive for COVID-19, but successfully recovered. She was the oldest recorded survivor of the disease until Lucile Randon, then 116, of France recovered in 2021. In a subsequent interview with the Observer, Branyas Morera called for a revolution in treatment of the elderly, saying “This pandemic has revealed that older people are the forgotten ones of our society. They fought their whole lives, sacrificed time and their dreams for today’s quality of life. They didn’t deserve to leave the world in this way.”
In January 2021, Branyas Morera received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- 1910 U.S. Census FamilySearch
- CELEBRACION MÁS QUE CENTENARIA Residencia Tura, 16 March 2016
- Maria Branyes, la persona més gran de la Garrotxa, compleix 110 anys Olot Televisio, 4 March 2017 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Avui he felicitat en nom Olotuit a la Sra. Maria Branyas, que feia 110 anys... @EstanisVayreda on Twitter, 4 March 2017
- Maria Branyas es, con 112 años y 5 meses, la catalana de más edad El Periódico, 18 August 2019
- María Branyas, la anciana más longeva de España con 113 años, supera el coronavirus Mundo Deportivo, 11 May 2020
- 113-year-old coronavirus survivor: ‘The elderly are the forgotten ones of society’ The Observer, 16 May 2020
- Davant la incertesa i la manca de garantia del subministrament de les vacunes... @MariaBranyas112 on Twitter, 28 January 2021
|Spain's Oldest Living Person Titleholders (V • E)|
Josefa Salas Mateo • Policarpa Perez Exposito • Josefa Llovet Llovet • Ramona Agudin-Fernandez • Antonia Diaz Garcia • Soledad Munoz • Salustiano Alvarez • Isabel Guijarro • Telesfora de la Torre-Mendizabal • Paulina Garcia-Lozano • Maria Villar Trespalacios • Aurelio Diaz • A. L. M. • Galo Leoz-Ortin • Maria Antonia Castro • Maria del Carmen Lopez • Gregorio Merino • Gabriela Izquierdo • F. M. M. • Antonio Urrea-Hernandez • Maria Esperanza Onieva • Joan Riudavets-Moll • Jorja Hernando • Victoriana Vazquez Barrero • Lucia Madaria-Vesga • Manuela Fernandez-Fojaco • Teresa Dosaigues Abella • Andresa Guerrero-Ortiz • Felipa Gutierrez • Rosa Martinez • Francisco Fernandez • Francisca Garcia-Torres • Ana Vela-Rubio • Magdalena Oliver Gabarro • Josefa Santos Gonzalez • Maria Branyas Morera