Margaret Fish in her supercentenarian years.
|Birth:||7 March 1899|
Tower Hamlets, England, UK
|Death:||12 March 2011|
Wilstead, England, UK
|Age:||112 years, 5 days|
Margaret Fish (née Willetts; 7 March 1899 – 12 March 2011) was a British supercentenarian who was the oldest living person in the United Kingdom at the time of her death. Her age has been validated by the Gerontology Research Group.
Fish was born on 7 March 1899 in Tower Hamlets, London, England. She worked as a dressmaker in her youth. She married Frank Fish in 1928, with whom she had two daughters, Barbara and Elsie. They moved to Bedford in 1941, and later lived in Cople, Bedfordshire. Frank died in 1987 at the age of 89.
Fish lived independently until the age of 104, when she moved to live with her 71-year-old daughter Barbara for two years. She then she moved in to a nursing Home in Wilstead, Bedfordshire, England.
Fish became the oldest living person in the United Kingdom following the death of 111 year-old Elsie Steele on 18 October 2010. Fish died in her nursing home on 12 March 2011, five days after her 112th birthday. Following her death, Violet Wood became the UK's oldest living person.
- Table A - Verified Supercentenarians (Listed Chronologically By Birth Date) Gerontology Research Group
- All Validated British Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain
- Happy 110th birthday! Biggleswade Today, 6 March 2009 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Supercentenarian celebrates big birthday Bedfordshire on Sunday, 8 March 2009 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Margaret is leading lady Bedfordshire on Sunday, 24 October 2010 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Margaret Ethel Fish: Obituary Bedfordshire Times & Citizen, 18 March 2011 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Margaret, 112, the oldest person in Britain, has died Bedfordshire on Sunday, 20 March 2011 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Britain's oldest person dies five days after turning 112 The Mirror, 20 March 2011