Meys aged 110.
|Birth:||12 July 1909|
Saint-Julien-de-l'Herms, Isere, Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
|Age:||112 years, 101 days|
Marcel Meys (born 12 July 1909) is a French supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). He is currently the oldest living man in France, after the death of Jules Theobald on 5 October 2021. He is also the last surviving French man born in 1909.
Marcel Meys was born in Saint-Julien-de-l'Herms, Isère, France on 12 July 1909. Meys remembers his father leaving to fight in the First World War in 1914 and returning later in the war.
During World War Two, Meys worked as an Ambulance Driver. Later in the war, Meys helped the French Resistance by transporting supplies in his Ambulance. After the war, he continued his work as an ambulance driver before his retirement in 1967. His wife, Marthe, died in December 1998. In July 2019, he celebrated his 110th birthday.
Meys currently lives in Saint-Romain-en-Gal, Rhone, Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France. Meys has lived in the same house since 1957. Since his centenarian years, he has lived with his daughter. As of 2021, he has one grandchild and one great-grandchild.
Following the death of Roger Auvin, Meys became the oldest man in metropolitan France (as Jules Theobald lived in the overseas department of Martinique). He became the oldest living person in Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes following the death of Marie-Louise Taterode on 3 September 2020.
On 29 May 2021 at the age of 111 years, 321 days, he may have surpassed the age of Maurice Floquet as the second-oldest French man ever and the oldest man ever from metropolitan France.
According to the French forum, Les Grands Centenaires Francais, Meys experienced a small heart problem around the time of his 112th birthday which required medication. At the time of his 112th birthday, he only walked with his walker and out of necessity only.
After the death of Jules Theobald on 5 October 2021, Marcel Meys became the oldest living man in France.
- Preuves de vie sur les personnes de 110 ans et plus
- Il a 110 ans : qui est Marcel Meys, le nouveau doyen des Français ?
- Marcel Meys, probable nouveau doyen des Français, a 110 ans
- Marcel Meys, habitant de Saint-Romain-en-Gal, est le nouveau doyen des Français
- 111th birthday LES GRANDS CENTENAIRES FRANÇAIS
- 111th birthday
- Voilà déjà neuf jours que Monsieur Meys a franchi l'extraordinaire cap des 112 ans LES GRANDS CENTENAIRES FRANCAIS, 21 July 2021
- L’Isérois Marcel Meys nouveau doyen des Français Le Dauphine, 5 October 2021
- Marcel Meys, 112 ans : « Être le doyen des Français, ça touche » Le Dauphine, 6 October 2021
- Saint-Romain-en-Gal : avec Marcel Meys, le nouveau doyen des Français Le Dauphine, 6 October 2021
|France's Oldest Living Man Titleholders (V • E)|
Jean Teillet • Louis-Jules Lebon • Unknown • Pierre James • Adolphe Gravelines • Henri Perignon • Faustin Jaumard • Louis Brard • Andre Raynaud • Emile Fourcade • Bernard Delhom • Louis Arthur Bon • Leon-Clement Estivals • Jules Many • Theophane Rifosta • Alexis Daigneau • Raymond Abescat • Joseph Rabenda • Jean Chevenet • Maurice Floquet • Aime Avignon • Louis de Cazenave • Lazare Ponticelli • Pierre Picault • Joseph Malahieude • Felix Rostaing • Philibert Parnasse • Charles De Antoni • Andre Coudrat • Louis Le Bouedec • Emile Turlant • Philippe Vocanson • Roger Gouzy • Robert Bourdon • Georges Massard • Roger Auvin • Jules Theobald • Marcel Meys