Thomas on her 110th birthday in 2020, pictured with her granddaughter Catherine
|Birth:||29 June 1910|
Marigny-le-Cahouet, Cote-d'Or, Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
|Age:||110 years, 356 days|
Madeleine Thomas was born on 29 June 1910 in Marigny-le-Cahouet, Cote-d'Or, Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France. Her father fought in the First World War, and her mother contracted Spanish Flu during the 1918-19 pandemic. Thomas worked as midwife and director of maternity services in several hospitals in both Cote-d'Or, Paris, and Auxerre, Bourgogne-Franche-Comte.
At the age of 104, Thomas moved to a nursing home in Auxerre, Yonne, Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France. Her vision and hearing have reportedly deteriorated, but she still has a good memory.
In 2020, at the age of 109, Thomas contracted COVID-19 during the coronavirus pandemic. However, she had successfully recovered by the time of her 110th birthday on 29 June, making her one of the oldest known survivors of the disease.
Following the death of 113-year-old Madeleine Chat on 14 December 2020, she became the oldest living person in Bourgogne-Franche-Comte and in Yonne departement.
- Anniversaires à la résidence des Clairions L'Yonne Républicaine, 28 June 2016
- La doyenne des pensionnaires a fêté ses 108 ans L'Yonne Républicaine, 26 June 2018
- Elle est la doyenne des résidents aux Clairions L'Yonne Républicaine, 1 July 2019
- 110th birthday LES CENTENAIRES FRANÇAIS, 30 June 2020
- Guérie du Covid-19, Madeleine Thomas a fêté ses 110 ans à Auxerre L'Yonne Républicaine, 1 July 2020