|Birth:||12 September 1907|
Plumas County, California, USA
|Death:||9 December 2017|
Chico, California, USA
|Age:||110 years, 88 days|
Balmer was the first of nine children born to Ernest and Jessie Lemm, in Plumas County, California, USA, on 12 September 1907. One sister, Lucille Hicks (1909–2014) lived to 105, and another sister, Clair Hill (born 1917) is 100. Clair's husband Bud Hill (1917–2019) lived to 101.
Balmer graduated from Chico High School in 1925. She began teaching mathematics in Susanville, California, in 1927, before later becoming head of the maths department in Albany. She finished her teaching career in Seattle, Washington. In 1932, she earned a degree in mathematics at UC Berkeley.
While teaching in Susanville, Balmer learned to ice skate. She qualified for the Olympics but did not participate.
In 1943, Balmer enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard, where she achieved the rank of Lieutenant. She secured a top-secret clearance and worked in Military Intelligence. Using her mathematical skills, she read and interpreted weather maps and charts and used morse code to help ships navigate through dangerous waters and adverse weather conditions between the USA and the UK.
After leaving the military, she married Charles Balmer in 1945. They moved to Seattle where they lived until 1999, before moving to Chico, California. Charles died in 2001. The couple had no children.
Balmer lived her final years in an assisted living facility in Chico, California, USA. She died on 9 December 2017 at the age of 110 years, 88 days.
- Lynn Balmer soon to celebrate 104 years ChicoER, 10 September 2011
- 107-year-old Chico State alumna is CSU’s oldest The Orion, 3 February 2015
- Chico woman celebrates 109 years ChicoER, 9 September 2016
- Honoring A Special Lady During Women’s History Month Carmichael Times, 22 March 2017
- Lynn Balmer is 110 years old ChicoER, 15 September 2017
- Chico family celebrates two centenarians OrovilleMR, 15 September 2017
- Lucille Hicks Obituary
- Lynn Balmer Obituary
- Harold "Bud" Hill Obituary