Priest celebrating her 111th birthday in 2019
|Birth:||7 November 1908|
Tredegar, Wales, UK
|Age:||112 years, 219 days|
Sarah Lilian Priest (née Lloyd; born 7 November 1908) is a British supercentenarian who is the oldest living person in the United Kingdom. Her age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group.
Early Life and Family
Priest was born on 7 November 1908 in Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales. She moved to Bournemouth at the age of 18 to work in a friend’s bed and breakfast for six months. Priest and her husband did a lot of travelling, and they had at least one child, a daughter, Wendy. Priest enjoyed playing the piano and singing.
By the age of 106, Priest was no longer able to play piano or sing, but could still remember all the words to the songs she used to sing. She currently lives in a retirement home in Swanage, Dorset, England.
Priest became the oldest living person in the United Kingdom following the death of Joan Hocquard on 24 October 2020. The following month, she celebrated her 112th birthday, but was not able to have any visitors due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, her daughter was able to see her from a distance through a door. On 19 January 2021, at the age 112, Priest received her first dose of the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine, making her one of oldest people to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Priest became the oldest living British-born person following the death of Phyllis Ridgway on 4 June 2021.
- All Validated British Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain
- Birthday girl could be Swanage's oldest resident aged 106 Swanage & Wareham Voice, 13 November 2014
- I was honoured today to join the residents at York house retirement home to celebrate Lillian Priest's 110 (sic) birthday party Swanage Town Mayor on Facebook, 7 November 2018
- Sarah Lillian (sic) Priest is one of the oldest people in the UK Bournemouth Echo, 10 November 2019
- Britain's oldest person celebrates 112th birthday at Swanage home Bournemouth Echo, 7 November 2020
- Britain's oldest person has Covid jab aged 112 as family still unable to see her The Mirror, 21 January 2021