Tinniswood at the age of 107 in 2019
|Birth:||26 August 1912|
Liverpool, Merseyside, England, UK
|Age:||108 years, 290 days|
Tinniswood was born on 26 August 1912 in Liverpool, Merseyside, England. Due to problems with his eyesight, Tinniswood was given an administrative role with Royal Mail during the Second World War, during which time he met his wife, Blodwen, at a dance in Liverpool. The couple married in 1942, and their only child, Susan, was born in 1943. The couple were married for 44 years until Blodwen died in 1986. Prior to his retirement in 1972, Tinniswood worked as an accountant for Shell and BP.
Tinniswood currently lives in a care home in Southport, Merseyside, England. At the time of his 107th birthday in 2019, he was able to get out of bed unassisted, read the newspaper every morning, and still managed his own finances. Tinniswood is an avid Liverpool FC fan. He has said that his secret to longevity is "eating battered fish and chips every Friday".
Following the death of 108 year-old Harry Fransman on 25 September 2020, Tinniswood became the oldest known living man in the UK according to Oldest in Britain. However, it is possible that there are older men who remain anonymous. Indian-born Fauja Singh (born 1 April 1911?) also claims to be older, but his age is not validated.
On 30 March 2021, Tinniswood received his second dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.
- Living men aged 106+ Oldest in Britain
- Could 106-year-old John be town’s oldest resident? Champion Newspaper, August 2018
- Southport Care Home resident celebrates 107th Birthday OTS News, 30 August 2019
- Pensioner, 107, says secret to his long life is eating fish and chips every week The Mirror, 14 October 2019
- Special chips off the block for John, 107 Southport Visiter, 17 October 2019
- The army were in today to give everyone their second vaccine and when they heard John was going to be 109 this year, they asked for a photo with him The Hollies Rest Home on Facebook, 30 March 2021
|United Kingdom's Oldest Living Man Titleholders (V • E)|
George Stanforth • John Mosley Turner • John Leng • Frederick Butterfield • James Harrow • Ernest Oxley • Harry Durrant • Arthur Emanuel • James Sellers • Walter Sandford • George Simms • Henry Norman • John Orton • Alfred Grant • John Evans • Samuel Crabbe • Joseph Randle • Jesse Yewdall • William Proctor • David Davies • Vinson Gulliver • David Henderson • Harry Halford • William Lee • Frederick Moore • Harry Laverick • Jerzy Pajaczkowski-Dydynski • Henry Allingham • Harry Patch • Stanley Lucas • Edward Anderson • Reg Dean • Ralph Tarrant • Harold Bracher • Frank Simes • John Mansfield • Alf Smith • Bob Weighton • Harry Fransman • John Tinniswood