Reynolds in 2017, celebrating his 105th birthday by riding a roller coaster
|Birth:||6 April 1912|
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, UK
|Death:||25 April 2020|
Hollingwood, Derbyshire, England, UK
|Age:||108 years, 19 days|
Reynolds was born on 6 April 1912 in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. He married his wife, Kathleen, at the age of 26. The couple had four children. His fourth child, Jayne, was born about 20 years after the first. Kathleen died suddenly from a stroke when she was 68. After his wife's death, Reynolds began travelling, visiting places such as Hawaii, Utah, and Portugal. In a video made by Guinness World Records he specified that he been to Portugal eight times and the USA half a dozen times.
Reynolds worked as a railway foreman for 40 years before retiring in 1975. He built a summer house at the age of 90. He enjoyed a shot of whiskey in his tea every morning and has a couple of shots of whiskey before going to bed. He frequently used his iPad to watch football, take pictures, and keep in touch with relatives.
In his later life, Reynolds lived in Hollingwood, Derbyshire, England. In December 2019, he fractured his pelvis and was in hospital for several weeks, where he also contracted pneumonia. In March 2020, it was reported he was immobile and on end-of-life care. As he was unable to break a world record for his 108th birthday, his family asked for donations to Helen’s Trust, a charity who helped provide him with care.
Reynolds died on 25 April 2020 at the age of 108 years, 19 days. At the time of his death, he was the third-oldest living man in the United Kingdom, after Bob Weighton and Harry Fransman. In February 2021, a pathway in Hollingwood was named "Jack Reynolds Way" in his memory. The signpost was officially unveiled on 6 April 2021, which would have been his 109th birthday.
Reynolds became the oldest person to get their first tattoo on his 104th birthday. He has attempted to break a new record every birthday since, becoming the oldest person to ride a roller coaster for his 105th birthday and the oldest person to ride a zip wire for his 106th birthday. For his 107th birthday, he became the oldest person to star in a television soap opera when filmed a scene for Hollyoaks. The episode was episode 5,191, transmitted on 17 June 2019.
- Oldest person to receive their first tattoo Guinness World Records, 6 April 2016
- "Bonkers" great-grandad 'who doesn't like tattoos' becomes oldest person to get inked - at 104 The Mirror, 6 April 2016
- A great-grandfather celebrated his 104th birthday by becoming the oldest person ever to get a tattoo Metro, 6 April 2016
- Experience: I’m the oldest person in the world to ride a rollercoaster The Guardian, 9 March 2018
- Oldest person to ride a zip wire (zip line) Guinness World Records, 6 April 2018
- 106-year-old sets birthday zip wire record - after getting tattoo and riding rollercoaster Guinness World Records, 18 September 2018
- Happy 107th birthday to local legend, Jack Peak FM, 6 April 2019
- Watch Derbyshire record-breaker Jack Reynolds' delight after he films scene for Hollyoaks for his 107th birthday Derbyshire Times, 8 April 2019
- Why did he get his first tattoo at 104? - Guinness World Records Guinness World Records (YouTube), 10 March 2020
- Derbyshire's Jack Reynolds, 107, gives heartwarming piece of advice on how to cope with the coronavirus crisis Derbyshire Times, 25 March 2020
- Derbyshire's Jack Reynolds launches charity fundraiser for his 108th birthday Derbyshire Times, 26 March 2020
- Derbyshire's amazing Jack Reynolds turns 108 Derbyshire Times, 6 April 2020
- Derbyshire legend Jack Reynolds dies surrounded by family aged 108 Ripley & Heanor News, 26 April 2020
- Pathway named after Derbyshire charity fundraiser Jack Reynolds Derbyshire Times, 22 February 2021
- Pathway officially named after Derbyshire legend Jack Reynolds on what would have been his 109th birthday Derbyshire Times, 6 April 2021