Ford on her 115th birthday in August 2020
|Birth:||15 August 1905|
Lancaster, South Carolina, USA
|Age:||115 years, 38 days|
Hester Ford was born on 15 August 1905 in Lancaster, Lancaster County, South Carolina, United States to Peter and Frances McCardell. She worked on a farm where she not only planted and picked cotton, but plowed the field and cut wood. She married John Ford on 12 March 1921, when she was 15, and they had 12 children (eight girls and four boys, including Hattie Thomas).
Ford moved to Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1953 where she worked for more than 20 years as a nanny. Her husband died at the age of 57 in 1963. She is a devout Christian and spent many years volunteering at her local church.
Ford now suffers from dementia, but she is still able to remember Bible verses. On her 112th birthday, she was able to recite the 23rd Psalm. As of August 2017, she has 53 grandchildren, 120 great-grandchildren, and 126 great-great-grandchildren. She still lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, and is the sixth-oldest person in the world whose age has been validated by the GRG.
- Gerontology Research Group
- Hester Ford celebrates 109th birthday
- Charlotte woman turns 112 and can recite Psalm 23 without skipping a beat
- Oldest living woman in NC lives in Charlotte, celebrates 112th birthday
- On 112th Birthday, She Perfectly Recites Psalm 23. Knows She’s Ready to “Be With Jesus”
- This NC woman is turning 115. Or 116? Either way, she’s the oldest person in the U.S. The Charlotte Observer, 14 August 2020
- Live long and prosper: Hester Ford celebrates her 116th birthday The Charlotte Post, 19 August 2020
|United States' Oldest Living Person Titleholders (V • E)|
Clarida Roy • Mary Bittlebrun • Sophia DeMuth • Fannie Thomas • Nellie Spencer • Emma Wilson • Mathew Beard • Augusta Holtz • Mary McKinney • Florence Knapp • Lucy Hannah • Margaret Skeete • Wilhelmina Kott • Sarah Knauss • Myrtle Dorsey • Maud Farris-Luse • Grace Clawson • Adelina Domingues • Mae Harrington • Mary Christian • Elena Slough • Charlotte Benkner • Emma Verona Johnston • Elizabeth Bolden • Emma Tillman • Corinne Dixon Taylor • Edna Parker • Gertrude Baines • Mary Josephine Ray • Neva Morris • Eunice Sanborn • Besse Cooper • Dina Manfredini • Gertrude Weaver • Jeralean Talley • Susannah Mushatt Jones • Goldie Michelson • Adele Dunlap • Delphine Gibson • Lessie Brown • Alelia Murphy • Hester Ford