|Birth:||16 September 1902|
York, Pennsylvania, USA
|Death:||16 February 2016|
Frederick, Maryland, USA
|Age:||113 years, 153 days|
Helen Wheat was born as a daughter Allen and Emma (Helman) Boose. born in York, Pennsylvania, USA, on 16 September 1902. She was the youngest of four siblings. Her mother lived to the age of 93. When she was 14, she left school to work at York Co. in order to support her family. She married Harvey Pierce Naylor, but they divorced when their children were young. Then she married again. Her second husband was Bill Wheat. The couple moved to Maryland before 1935. She later worked at her son's winery, working in the vineyard until she was in her 90s. She liked wine and attributed her longevity to having a glass of wine every evening. She lived with her son in the York County until she had a fall, and a worsened health resulted in her moving to the Homewood Retirement Center in Frederick in 2007. On her 112th birthday, it was reported that her dementia had worsened. She had three children, nine grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren and six great-great-grandchildren at the time.
Helen Wheat died in Frederick, Maryland, USA, on 16 February 2016. At the time of her death, she was the oldest person in Maryland, the 3rd oldest American and the 2nd oldest American-born person, after Susannah Mushatt Jones. She was the 16th oldest living person at the time of her passing at the age of 113.
- Gerontology Research Group
- York Daily Record (September 15, 2015)
- Frederick News Post (September 16, 2014)
- Photo Gallery for Supercentenarians born in the year 1902 Gerontology Research Group
- Verified Supercentenarians (Listed Chronologically By Birth Date) Gerontology Research Group
- 3rd-oldest American, a York native, dies at 113 York Daily Record. 17 February 2016