Young celebrating her 108th birthday with her brother George Davis, aged 95
|Birth:||13 June 1910|
Walnut, Iowa, USA
|Age:||110 years, 26 days|
Young was born on 12 June 1910 in Walnut, Iowa, and was one of 12 children. Her parents were Robert and Celesta Davis. She was married to Frank Young from 1929 until his death in 1973. She never had any children, but raised her husband’s nephews.
Young has lived in Des Moines, Iowa for the majority of her life, except for a brief period in Boston, Massachusetts, where she inspected airplane parts during World War II while her husband was in the Navy. She worked a number of jobs throughout her life, including at a hosiery mill, a soap factory, a magazine, two dime stores, and as a waitress.
Young currently lives in a nursing home in Altoona, near Des Moines, Iowa. For her 108th birthday in June 2018, she travelled to Spokane, Washington to visit her younger brother George Davis, whom she had not seen for eight years. Davis, who was Young's last surviving sibling, died in April 2019.
Young became a supercentenarian in June 2020. Her relatives were forced to celebrate her 110th birthday outside her home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- On her 108th birthday, centenarian Hazel Young celebrates with family in Spokane The Spokesman-Review, 14 June 2018
- Pre-109th Birthday Confirmation Facebook Post, 24 May 2019
- Pre-110th Birthday Confirmation Facebook, 9 June 2020
- Pre-110th Birthday Confirmation Facebook Post, 12 June 2020
- Hazel Young's 110th Birthday YouTube, 12 June 2020
- Hazel Pearl Young Find A Grave