Hazel Nilson on her 111th birthday
|Birth:||21 August 1908|
Chicago, Illinois, USA
|Death:||20 November 2019|
Sunapee, New Hampshire, USA
|Age:||111 years, 91 days|
Hazel Nilson was born in Chicago, Illinois, on 21 August 1908. She and her husband, Swede, both worked as physical education teachers. After retiring from teaching in 1964, they moved to Stone Lake, Wisconsin, and from 1966 they spent their winters in Florida. Swede died in 1992.
Nilson continued to live alone until the age of 106, when she moved to an assisted living facility in Sunapee, New Hampshire in 2014. She continued to drive until she voluntarily gave up her license at the age of 104. She was a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan, and made national headlines in 2016 when her team won the World Series for the first time since 1908, the year she was born.
Nilson became a supercentenarian in August 2018, and celebrated her 111th birthday in 2019 by going on a boat tour of Lake Sunapee, New Hampshire. She died on 20 November 2019, at the age of 111 years, 91 days, following a brief hospitalisation.
- 109-year-old Sunapee woman enjoys birthday with boat ride WMUR9, 21 August 2017
- 109-year-old New Hampshire woman links positive outlook to longevity Boston.com, 22 August 2017
- Sunapee's Hazel Nilson celebrates 110th birthday WMUR9, 21 August 2018
- Baseball fan born in 1908 celebrates her 111th birthday WRGB, 21 August 2019
- Sunapee woman celebrates 111th birthday with boat tour of lake WMUR9, 23 August 2019
- Stone Lake's 'Hurricane Hazel' dies at 111 Sawyer County Record, 21 November 2019
- Hazel E. Nilson Obituary Chadwick Funeral and Cremation Service