|Grace Catherine Jones|
Grace Jones in November 2018, aged 112
|Birth:||16 September 1906|
Liverpool, England, UK
|Death:||7 June 2019|
Broadway, Worcestershire, England, UK
|Age:||112 years, 264 days|
Grace Catherine Jones (née Rich; 16 September 1906 – 7 June 2019) was a British supercentenarian who was the oldest living person in the United Kingdom at the time of her death. She was also the last surviving British person born in 1906. Her age has been validated by the Gerontology Research Group.
Grace Jones was born on 16 September 1906 in Liverpool, England. She was the youngest of eight children born to Henry Banks Rich (1861–1932) and Sarah Alice Eilbeck (1867–1910). One of her brothers died in the First World War. In her 20s, she owned a millinery factory. In 1933, she married Leonard Jones, and they had one child together, Deirdre.
Jones and her husband spent their marriage moving around the country. In total, they moved 28 times, living in places such as Devon, Cheshire, and North Wales. Leonard died in 1986, aged 79.
Jones moved to live with her family in Broadway, Worcestershire, in 2005. She attributed her long life to drinking whisky every evening.
Jones celebrated her 110th birthday in September 2016. In November 2018, she was interviewed about her memories of the First World War to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Armistice. She died on 7 June 2019 at the age of 112 years, 264 days.
Jones became the last surviving British person born in 1906 following the death of Florence Ivy Cook on 7 December 2017, a day before her 111th birthday.
Jones became the oldest living person in the United Kingdom following the death of 113 year-old Olive Boar on 28 August 2018. She also became the last surviving British person born before 1907.
Following Jones's death on 7 June 2019, Gwen Payne became the UK's oldest living person.
- Oldest in Britain
- Broadway's Grace Jones celebrates her 109th birthday Worcester News, 16 September 2015
- Grace Jones celebrates turning 110 with friends Oxford Mail, 16 September 2016
- 110-year-old Grace says the secret to long life is drinking whisky Metro, 16 September 2016
- Woman reveals secret to living to 111 is a shot of whisky a night Metro, 18 September 2017
- Britain’s oldest person, Olive Boar from East Anglia, has died Ipswich Star, 1 September 2018
- Armistice: ‘A postman came to the door. I knew my brother was dead’ The Times, 10 November 2018
- Britain's oldest woman Grace Jones dies aged 112 The Daily Mirror, 13 June 2019