Kingston celebrating her 111th birthday in 2020
|Birth:||1 February 1909|
Farnborough, England, UK
|Age:||111 years, 354 days|
Gertrude Annie Kingston (born 1 February 1909) is a British supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group. She is currently the second-oldest living person in the United Kingdom, after Lilian Priest.
Kingston was born in Farnborough, Hampshire, England, on 1 February 1909. One of her earliest memories is her father leaving to fight in World War I. Her father was killed in 1917 after making his way out of the trenches in order to pay a visit to home.
As a young adult, Kingston learned to play the violin and the cello. In 1954, she started working for the School of Military Survey, where she met her future husband, Ernie Kingston. The couple were married for 23 years from February 1960 until Ernie's death in April 1983.
Kingston was a member of the Women’s Institute for much of her life, and for many years she typed out the newsletter for her village. In 2009, at the age of 100, she moved into a residential home in Woolton Hill, Hampshire, England. She became a supercentenarian in February 2019. Kingston has been the second-oldest living person in the United Kingdom since the death of Joan Hocquard on 24 October 2020.
- All Validated British Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain
- Queen’s card puts royal seal on 105th birthday party Newbury Today, 12 February 2014
- Today I met Gertrude Kingston... @fi_tomas_ on Twitter, 4 February 2019
- West Berkshire resident celebrates 110th birthday Newbury Today, 9 February 2019
- Happy 111th Birthday to young Gertie. Enbridge House Care Home on Facebook, 1 February 2020