Gertrude Kingston celebrating her 111th birthday
|Birth:||1 February 1909|
Farnborough, England, UK
|Age:||111 years, 237 days|
Kingston was born in Farnborough, Hampshire, England, on 1 February 1909. One of her earliest memories is her father leaving to fight in World War I. Her father was killed in 1917 after making his way out of the trenches in order to pay a visit to home.
As a young adult, Kingston learned to play the violin and the cello. In 1954, she started working for the School of Military Survey, where she met her future husband, Ernie Kingston. The couple were married for 23 years from February 1960 until Ernie's death in April 1983.
Kingston was a member of the Women’s Institute for much of her life, and for many years she typed out the newsletter for her village. In 2009, at the age of 100, she moved into a residential home in Woolton Hill, Hampshire, England. She became a supercentenarian in February 2019.
- All Validated British Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain
- Queen’s card puts royal seal on 105th birthday party Newbury Today, 12 February 2014
- 110th birthday Twitter, 4 February 2019
- West Berkshire resident celebrates 110th birthday Newbury Today, 9 February 2019
- 111th Birthday Confirmation Facebook, 1 February 2020