Freda Hodgson at age 106
|Birth:||26 September 1913|
Anglesey, Wales, UK
|Death:||15 May 2021|
Whiteley, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, England, UK
|Age:||107 years, 231 days|
Freda Violet Hodgson (née Williams; formely Hinde; 26 September 1913 – 15 May 2021) was a British centenarian who is one of the oldest known survivors of COVID-19, having recovered from the disease at the age of 106. She also recovered from the Spanish Flu more than a century beforehand, making her one of a small number of people to have survived contracting both diseases.
Freda Hodgson was born in Anglesey, Wales, UK on 26 September 1913, the daughter of Sir William Willoughby Williams, 5th Bt. and Violet Henrietta (née Powell) Williams.
During the World War I, Freda remembers hearing the bomb blasts outside during the war as she hid in the basement of her home.
She has met the Queen Elizabeth’s grandparents King George V and Queen Mary at Buckingham Palace.
She married Sydney Walton Hinde on 6 February 1937. The couple had four children: Deirdre Wakefield (born 1938), Richard Hinde (born 1939), Patricia Hyde-Smith (born 1941) and Caroline Rooke (born 1946). The couple were divorced in 1950.
She married William Hodgson on 16 July 1959. The couple not had children.
Her eldest daughter died in 1979 when the aircraft she was in was shot down by terrorists. Her husband William Hodgson died in 2000.
On 5 April 2020, she got ill with COVID-19 symptoms; however, as of 19 April 2020, she successfully recovered.
As of May 2020, she had one living child, a unreported number of grandchildren and 52 great-grandchildren. She lived at Whiteley Village care home in Hersham, Surrey, England.
Freda Hodgson died in Whiteley, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, England, UK on 15 May 2021 at the age of 107 years, 231 days.
- Freda Violet Williams Person Page
- Donkeys – a lifeline to Zimbabwe The Phraser, 16 August 2014
- Surrey centenarians back new positive ageing campaign Beattie, 4 April 2017
- Freda Hodgson: “You go off to your war, we will run your firms”, 8 February 2018
- 'Queens are better than kings': 104-year-old Freda is the female role model every young woman should look up to Surrey Live, 11 February 2018
- Coronavirus: Freda aged 106 is Britain's oldest COVID-19 survivor Care Homes, 26 May 2020
- Freda Hodgson obituary The Times, 26 May 2021
- Deaths aged 107+ since 2009 Oldest in Britain