Abbracciamento celebrating her 105th birthday in May 2018
|Birth:||9 May 1913|
Brooklyn, New York, USA
|Age:||107 years, 345 days|
Early Life and Family
The daughter of Italian immigrants, Abbracciamento was born on 9 May 1913 in Brooklyn, New York, USA. She attended Brooklyn College for time before working as a millinery buyer. Soon after, she met her husband, Salvatore, and they got married when she was 26. Together they had four children and started a restaurant in Canarsie, Brooklyn, called Abbracciamento on the Pier.
After her husband's death in 1966, Abbracciamento ran the Bay Terrace restaurant in Breezy Point, Queens, New York, in the early 1970s. Abbracciamento was active in politics; she was a State Committee Woman for the Democratic Party and she was School Board President for District 19 for 13 years. She also once met President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Later Life and COVID-19 Survival
Abbracciamento retired from working at her restaurant when she was 86. She suffered a broken hip and shoulder when she was 101. She currently lives in Breezy Point, Queens, New York. As of May 2020, she has nine grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
In late March 2020, during outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, she was diagnosed with pneumonia. By the end of April, she had made a near-full recovery, and it was only then that her family learned she had in fact caught COVID-19 after being tested for the virus. She celebrated her 107th birthday the following month.
Abbracciamento's son, Frank, died aged 76 on 28 January 2021.
- Happy 103rd Birthday! The Wave, 20 May 2016
- Forever Fabulous The Wave, 12 May 2017
- Queens woman celebrates 105th birthday, offers advice for troubled times New York Daily News, 10 May 2018 (via The Wayback Machine)
- NYC centenarian survives coronavirus in time to celebrate 107th birthday New York Daily News, 4 May 2020 (via The Wayback Machine)
- Grandma who beat Spanish flu also recovers from COVID-19 — in time for 107th birthday The Inquirer, 6 May 2020
- Cheers to Mrs. A on 107 Years The Rockaway Times, 14 May 2020
- Frank Abbracciamento Obituary