Bowens in August 2019.
|Birth:||26 August 1909|
Seward, Oklahoma, USA
|Age:||111 years, 153 days|
Ethel May Bowens (née Maple; born 26 August 1909) is an American supercentenarian who is the oldest known person living in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. Her age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
Ethel Bowens was born in Seward, Oklahoma, USA, on 26 August 1909. Her father was a farmer and her mother, Susie Maple, was a homemaker. Her family attended a Guthrie-area Baptist church. She went to Sunday school and later taught in Sunday school.
On 3 May 1925, she married Volna T. Bowens Sr. (1902–1989). They were married for 17 years before having their first child together. They had 6 children and had twins when she was 43. She celebrated her 110th birthday in August 2019. At that time, she had 29 grandchildren, 54 great-grandchildren and 46-great-great-grandchildren. Bowens said the secret to a long and happy life is "staying married to the same man, not smoking or drinking, and following God".
Ethel Bowens currently lives in Guthrie, Oklahoma, United States at the age of 111 years, 153 days.
- Ethel May Bowens FindAGrave
- Witty Guthrie centenarian, 106, reveals longevity secret Guthrie News Leader, 1 January 2015
- Help woman celebrate her 110th birthday by sending her birthday cards WTVD, 14 August 2019
- 110th birthday Instagram, 27 August 2019
- 111th birthday Facebook, 25 August 2020