|Birth:||27 September 1908|
|Death:||27 June 2021|
Readlyn, Iowa, USA
|Age:||112 years, 273 days|
Esther Wittenburg was born on a farm near Tripoli, Iowa on 27 September 1908 to Fred and Luise (Schmidt) Luebs. She had one older sister, Leota, who died in 1992 at the age of 89. She married Fred Bock in 1926 and had 4 children with him, Virgil, Marlys, Delores and Larry. Fred died in 1960 and she remarried in 1966 to Herbert Wittenburg, who died in 1982. She currently lives in Readlyn, Iowa, still in her own home with assistance from her son, Virgil. In June 2019, she took part in the annual Readlyn Grump Days Parade, riding through the town on a float.
In April 2021 at the age of 112, Wittenburg received the Covid-19 vaccine, making her one of the oldest people to be vaccinated. Her 92-year-old son Virgil Bock also received the Covid-19 vaccine.
Wittenburg died in Readlyn, Iowa, USA on 27 June 2021 at the age of 112 years, 273 days. At the time of her death, she was the second-oldest living person in Iowa, after Bessie Hendricks.
- Happy 109th Birthday, Esther Wittenburg! Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, 1 October 2017
- Happy 110th Birthday, Esther Wittenburg! Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, 30 September 2018
- Readlyn Hero: Esther Wittenburg Readlyn Chronicle, 26 June 2019
- Happy 111th Birthday, Esther Wittenburg! Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, 29 September 2019
- Wittenburg marks 112th birthday with golf cart ride Waverly Newspapers, 23 September 2020 (via The Wayback Machine)
- 112-year-old Readlyn woman and her 92-year-old son get vaccinated in Waverly Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, 8 April 2021
- Obituary Echovita