Goodwill on her 114th birthday in 2021
|Birth:||2 February 1907|
Paris, Kentucky, USA
|Death:||2 March 2021|
Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
|Age:||114 years, 28 days|
Ellen Goodwill (née Lear; 2 February 1907 – 2 March 2021) was an American supercentenarian who was the oldest known person living in Michigan at the time of her death. Her age is validated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
Ellen Goodwill was born in Paris, Kentucky, on 2 February 1907. As a young adult, she moved to Columbus, Ohio, and became a model. In 1947, she married Augustus “Gus” Goodwill in Battle Creek, Michigan, after meeting him at a dance several years prior. The couple had no children. Gus died in 1972, after 25 years of marriage.
Goodwill worked dressing shop windows in Battle Creek until her arthritis prevented her from doing so. She celebrated her 110th birthday in 2017 with her neighbours, friends, and family. At the time of her 111th birthday in 2018, she still enjoyed reading magazines and doing crafts in her nursing home. She became the oldest known living person in Michigan following the death of Irene Dutton on 15 May 2020. Goodwill died in Battle Creek, Michigan on 2 March 2021 at the age of 114 years, 28 days. She is buried in Fort Custer National Cemetery.
- 110-year-old Ellen Goodwill celebrated her birthday Feb. 2... Battle Creek Shopper News on Facebook, 9 February 2017
- Calhoun County's oldest known woman, Ellen Goodwill, turns 111 years old Battle Creek Enquirer, 2 February 2018
- Battle Creek Celebrates Ellen Goodwill Who Turned 112 This Month WKFR Radio, 5 February 2019
- Ellen Goodwill, Battle Creek's supercentenarian, to celebrate 113th birthday Battle Creek Enquirer, 30 January 2020
- Battle Creek's Ellen Goodwill, oldest known living person in Michigan, turns 114 Battle Creek Enquirer, 2 February 2021
- Battle Creek's Ellen Goodwill, Michigan's oldest resident, dies at 114 Battle Creek Enquirer, 5 March 2021