Comanescu at the age of 111
|Birth:||21 November 1908|
Draganeasa, Prahova, Romania
|Death:||27 June 2020|
|Age:||111 years, 219 days|
Dumitru Comanescu [Romanian: Comănescu] (8 November 1908 O.S./21 November 1908 N.S. – 27 June 2020) was a Romanian supercentenarian whose age has been validated by Guinness World Records (GWR). He was presented with the title of the world's oldest living man, but it was later revealed that Emilio Flores Marquez was older.
Comanescu was born on 8 November 1908 (now 21 November since the adoption of the Gregorian calendar) in Provita de Jos in Draganeasa, Prahova County, Romania. Reportedly, he has a memory of the 1918 Great Union. At university, he studied mathematics and agronomy and graduated in 1933.
Comanescu was an agronomist engineer and one of the most valuable phytopathologists, being the disciple of the founder of the Institute of Agronomic Research, Gheorghe Ionescu Sisesti. Initially, he enrolled in the Faculty of Mathematics, having as a teacher one of the greatest mathematicians, Gheorghe Titaica. He would then find his vocation in the world of plant research. Comanescu worked for over 70 years until 2003. When he was 86, a competition for agricultural experts was organized in Bucharest. He took part in it and, out of dozens of candidates, he took 5th place in the country.
After college, Comanescu moved to Targoviste, where he met his wife, who was a pediatrician and a primary cousin of nuclear physicist Horia Hulubei. They got a son and a daughter. After the death of his wife in 1990, Comanescu moved to his daughter and son-in-law in Bucharest. At the age of 108, he had a hip fracture but no hospital was able to operate on him. Eventually, he went to the Foisor Hospital where he was considered 'a local attraction' for both doctors and patients.
Comanescu may be the oldest man ever to have lived in Romania. He became a candidate for the World's Oldest Man title after the death of 112 year-old Bob Weighton on 28 May 2020. Guinness World Records recognized him as the new world's oldest living man retroactively (after his death). He died in Bucharest, Romania, on 27 June 2020 at the age of 111 years, 219 days (232 days based on the old calendar). Three days before his death, he was awarded the Patriarchal Cross, the highest ecclesiastical decoration of the Romanian Orthodox Church.
- Cine este Dumitru Comănescu, cel mai vârstnic cetăţean al Bucureștiului Digi24, 22 June 2019
- Dumitru Comănescu, 111 ani, al doilea cel mai bătrân om din lume. Amintiri din copilărie dinaintea primului război mondial Life.ro, 10 March 2020
- Un român este cel mai bătrân bărbat din lume. Dumitru Comănescu a preluat astăzi acest titlu, la vârsta de 111 ani şi 202 zile România TV, 28 May 2020
- Dumitru Comănescu, declarat cel mai vârstnic bărbat al Planetei, a murit, la 111 ani Știrile Pro TV, 27 June 2020
- Dumitru Comănescu, recunoscut oficial ca cel mai longeviv bărbat în viaţă al planetei, a primit certificatul de la Guinness World Records la un an după moartea sa Antena3, 29 June 2021
- Emilio Flores Márquez confirmed as the world’s oldest man living at 112 Guinness World Records, 30 June 2021
|Romania's Oldest Living Person Titleholders (V • E)|