|Birth:||3 May 1908|
Lympstone, Devon, England, UK
|Death:||2 January 2020|
Glastonbury, Somerset, England, UK
|Age:||111 years, 244 days|
Bastin was born in Lympstone, Devon, England on 3 May 1908. She was one of seven children. She met her husband, Alf, in 1933, and they were married for nearly 50 years. The couple had a son, Michael, who is deceased. Alf Bastin was badly injured during the Second World War and suffered from weak health for the rest of his life, making it necessary for his wife to care for him.
In her later life, Bastin lived in her own flat in Glastonbury, Somerset, England, and was assisted by carers and friends. At the age of 108, she was admitted to hospital after suffering from balance issues, but was discharged with a clean bill of health. She credited her longevity to "fresh onions". She died on 2 January 2020 at the age of 111 years, 244 days. She was the first known supercentenarian to die in 2020.
- Oldest in Britain
- 108 year old Somerset resident, Daisy Bastin, from Glastonbury 'grateful' for long and happy life after treatment at Musgrove Park Hospital Yeovil Express, 12 January 2017
- 109-year-old from Glastonbury reveals the secret of longevity - is she the oldest woman in Somerset? Somerset Live, 4 May 2017
- Live longer: One of Britain’s oldest people, age 110, praises ONIONS for her long life Express, 4 May 2018
- Onions are secret to long life says woman who just turned 111 Metro, 3 May 2019
- Daisy Bastin Obituary Funeral Notices, 11 January 2020