|Birth:||14 October 1911|
Bloomingdale, New Jersey, USA
|Death:||26 October 2020|
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
|Age:||109 years, 12 days|
Charles Clifford "Cliff" Kayhart (14 October 1911 – 26 October 2020) was an American centenarian who was one of the oldest victims of the COVID-19 pandemic and believed to have been the oldest living survivor of the Battle of Iwo Jima during WWII.
Charles Kayhart was born in Bloomingdale, New Jersey, USA on 14 October 1911. His parents were Charles Kayhart and Viola (née Decker) Kayhart. He had five siblings.
He married Ann Chadwick in 1937. The couple had three children: Clifford Kayhart (1941–1949), Susan Mallini and Pam Fyffe. Ann died in November 2006, after 70 years of marriage. He moved to Columbia, South Carolina at the age of 103.
In October 2020, he was admitted to the ICU at Parkridge hospital in Columbia, South Carolina with severe dehydration caused by covid-19.
He was a member of Dutch Fork Amateur Radio Group and was the oldest actual ham radio operator in the world, the oldest surviving Iwo Jima veteran and 10th oldest known living man in the United States at time of his death. He was also the oldest man on the SC Honor Flight trip to D.C.
Charles Kayhart died after contracting covid-19 in Columbia, South Carolina, USA on 26 October 2020 at the age of 109 years, 12 days. He was survived by two daughters Susan Mallini and Pam Fyffe; 3 grandchildren Justin Fyffe, Jennifer Lauer and Kristen Hazen; and 5 great-grandchildren.
- Ann Margaret Kayhart Geni
- American flag stolen from 102-year-old WWII veteran WBIR.com, 22 July 2014
- 107-year-old Veteran reflects on his extraordinary life WIS TV, 12 November 2018
- W4KKP QRZ.com, July 2019
- Interview with ARRL Centurion Award Recipient W4KKP, Cliff Kayhart & W2RU YouTube, 13 December 2020
- Please say a prayer for my friend Cliff Kayhart W4KKP Facebook Post, 7 October 2020
- Cliff update! Cliff W4KKP was admitted to the ICU last pm at Parkridge hospital in Columbia Facebook Post, 9 October 2020
- Cliff note: We were exhausted when we got home last night from the hospital but I would like to give a shout out to all the employees at Parkridge Facebook Post, 9 October 2020
- Cliff note: Random pictures of the Iwo Jima station Cliff set up Facebook Post, 9 October 2020
- Cliff update: better today can’t speak well because of a submanibular abscess and positive blood cultures but able to tell his daughter he was “happy”! Facebook Post, 10 October 2020
- Cliff update 11 Oct 20: Cliff has had both good and bad news Today Facebook Post, 11 October 2020
- Cliff update 12 Oct 20: today was another day of ups and downs Facebook Post, 12 October 2020
- Cliff will be 109 Tomorrow Facebook Post, 13 October 2020
- Happy Birthday Cliff! Facebook Post, 14 October 2020
- Happy Birthday Cliff: 14 Oct 20 Facebook Post, 14 October 2020
- The angels came for Cliff today Facebook Post, 26 October 2020
- Cliff last year Facebook Post, 27 October 2020
- Charles Kayhart Obituary Dignity Memorial
- Charles Clifford “Cliff” Kayhart Find A Grave
- Former Greeneville Resident Passes Away At 109 The Greeneville Sun, 28 October 2020