|Birth:||14 March 1901|
Rockingham County, North Carolina, USA
|Death:||26 August 2012|
Reidsville, North Carolina, USA
|Age:||111 years, 165 days|
Clara Sutton was born in Rockingham County, North Carolina, USA on 14 March 1901, the oldest of eight children of James Sutton and Annie (née Webb) Sutton. She grew up on a farm outside Madison.
Because of her mother’s failing health, the responsibilities of raising her younger siblings fell to Sutton.
She never married and not had children, although a young man asked her to marry him when she was 18 and she declined.
The only driving lesson Sutton ever had was from her father. She ended up hitting the corner of the family home and cracking it. She never got behind the wheel of a car again.
Most of Sutton’s life has been spent in Rockingham County, living with her parents and looking after them until their deaths. She did make one trip to the beach and one to the mountains, and she visited a relative in Virginia.
She remained in her family home until several years ago when she broke her hip while working in her flowers. That’s when she moved to Annie Penn Nursing Center.
Her last surviving sibling Dorothy Webb died in Jun 2005 at the age of 83.
Clara Sutton died in Reidsville, North Carolina, USA on 26 August 2012 at the age of 111 years, 165 days. She is survived by one sister-in-law Virgie Sutton; one brother-in-law Wilmor Wray; two nieces Elizabeth S. Davis and Linda S. Evans; one nephew Harold Wray.
- Clara Depew Sutton FamilySearch
- GRG Pending Cases List
- Ida Sutton Wray Obituary Greensboro, 19 December 2000
- James William Sutton Obituary Greensboro, 8 January 2001
- At 104, Clara Sutton’s satisfied Greensboro, 14 March 2005
- Dorothy Sutton Webb Obituary Greensboro, 29 June 2005
- A cookie to honor her 109th birthday News Record, 28 March 2010
- The Century Club pdf (page 15), Aril 2011
- Clara Sutton Obituary Legacy, 29 August 2012
- Clara Depew Sutton Find A Grave