Christian Mortensen at the age of 114
|Birth:||16 August 1882|
Skårup, Skanderborg, Denmark
|Death:||25 April 1998|
San Rafael, California, USA
|Age:||115 years, 252 days|
Thomas Peter Thorvald Kristian Ferdinand Mortensen was born in Skaarup, Skanderborg, Denmark, on 16 August 1882, to Jens Carl Martinus Mortensen and Maren Therkildsen Thyboe. The youngest of six siblings, he was baptized in Fruering Church on 26 December 1882. Besides his baptismal record, other records include the 1890 and 1901 census enumerations in Denmark, and church confirmation in 1896.
In 1903, he migrated to the United States, and lived in various areas and worked in various trades including as a milkman and in a can factory. In Denmark, Mortensen had worked as a farmhand and apprenticed as a tailor. He apparently was married though only briefly and never had children. Mortensen enjoyed an occasional cigar, and, very unusually for a supercentenarian, was known to show a bit of feistiness even in his final years. In August 1997, for instance, he expected to get the Guinness "oldest person" title, but on 14 August 1997, Guinness named Marie-Louise Meilleur of Canada, age 116, the "world's oldest person". Mortensen, angered, said they "just did that to spoil my birthday" (he turned 115 only two days after). Later, however, when he found out that fellow American Sarah Knauss was older too (116 as well), he said "c'est la vie". Mortensen could have been given the title of "oldest living man", however, but Guinness did not officially implement that category until mid-2000.
In 1978, he rode his tricycle to the Aldersly Retirement Community in San Rafael, boldly telling the staff that he was Danish, and that he was there to stay. Mortensen lived there for his final 20 years.
Chris Mortensen died in San Rafael, California, USA, on 25 April 1998. He is the oldest recognized male ever to die in the United States, and the oldest recognized person ever born in Denmark. At his death, Mortensen was the second-oldest recognized living person only behind Sarah Knauss, also from the United States. He was 115 years, 252 days old. He had become the oldest man to ever live whose age is not disputed until 28 December 2012, when Jiroemon Kimura surpassed him.
He was the last surviving person documented as born in 1882 and was the only Nordic person to have lived past their 113th birthday. Mortensen also was the oldest supercentenarian who emigrated until his age was surpassed by Italian emigrant to the USA, Dina Manfredini.
- See also: List of male supercentenarians
- Christian Mortensen, 115 Photo Gallery. Gerontology Research Group
- Churchbook 1878 - 1892 Fruering, Ny udgave / Page No. 20, #14, Danish Family Search
- ↑ Christian Mortensen's birth record (see Churchbook above) shows his birthplace as the village of Skaarup, Denmark, which was located in Fruering Parish, Hjelmslev Hundred, Skanderborg County, which is now part of Skanderborg municipality.
- ↑ Torri Minton, San Francisco Chronicle, "One of World's Oldest Dies in His Sleep", page A-18, 1998-04-28. Accessed 2007-02-16
- ↑ John Wilmoth, Christian Mortensen, 1882-1998. Accessed 2007-02-16
- ↑ Karyn Hunt, San Francisco Examiner, "Guinness book checking after death of woman, 112", page A-5, 1997-08-05
- ↑ New York Times, "Christian Mortensen, 115, Among Oldest", 1998-05-03. Accessed 2007-02-16
- Scandinavian obituaries: Sigarelsker døde - 115 år gammel Dagbladet
and Christian Mortensen blev 115 år Aftonbladet
|United States' Oldest Living Man Titleholders (V • E)|
Charlie Nelson • Charlie Phillips • Mathew Beard • Joe Thomas • Alphaeus Philemon Cole • Alton Gilbert • Oscar Dubois • James Wiggins • Frederick Frazier • Christian Mortensen • Johnson Parks • Walter Richardson • John Painter • John McMorran • Fred Hale • Earl Brush • Moses Hardy • Thomas Nelson • Antonio Pierro • George Francis • Walter Breuning • Shelby Harris • Salustiano Sanchez • Alexander Imich • Conrad Johnson • Wash Wesley • Felix Simoneaux • Frank Levingston • Clarence Matthews • Richard Overton • Henry Tseng • CP Crawford • Irving Piken • Lawrence Brooks