Simmons-Scott at work in 1959.
|Birth:||31 March 1909|
San Antonio, Texas, USA
|Death:||4 January 2021|
Payson, Arizona, USA
|Age:||111 years, 279 days|
Simmons-Scott was born in San Antonio, Texas, USA on 31 March 1909.
She worked as a nurse in Texas and California before moving to Winslow, Arizona in 1940. She married Ralph H. Simmons in 1942 and had two sons (including Tommy Simmons). The couple opened Ralph & Bessie’s Bar-B-Q Pit & Café on East Second Street around 1950.
After they sold the business around 1975, Ralph became the first African American resident elected to Winslow City Council and served as Vice Mayor in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Bessie became head chef at the Happy Senior Citizens Center.
Ralph died in 1991. Bessie was remarried to Lucius Scott until his death in 2001. She moved at Payson Care Center on 12 December 2015 at age 106.
Simmons-Scott died in Payson, Arizona, USA on 4 January 2021 at the age of 111 years, 279 days.
- Ralph H. Simmons Find A Grave
- Lucius C. Scott Find A Grave
- Lucius C. Scott Obituary Navajo-Hopi Observer
- 107-year-old resident at Payson Care Center has legacy of hospitality Payson Roundup, 21 February 2017
- Ralph H. Old Trails Museum (pdf), February 2018
- 109 year-old resident Payson Roundup, 17 April 2018
- Bessie Simmons-Scott Obituary Greer's Mortuary