|Birth:||30 January 1911|
Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
|Death:||18 September 2021|
Beaver Harbor, New Brunswick, Canada
|Age:||110 years, 231 days|
Arnold Seymour Hawkins (30 January 1911 – 18 September 2021) was a Canadian supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). He was the oldest known Canadian-born man following the death of Robert Wiener on 17 February 2019, and was the second-oldest man living in Canada after South Korean-born Ja Hyung Lee at the time of his death.
Arnold Hawkins was born in the town of Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada on 30 January 1911 to parents Almon Hawkins (1889–1957) and Lucy Pond (1888–1945). He was the oldest of 9 children. He lived in the same town his entire life, working as a fisherman for over 40 years. He married Vera Arlene Morse (1914–2010) in 1936. His family have credited his longevity both to his steady diet of fish and potatoes, and genetics. Hawkins' grandmother, Levenia Mary Johnson (1866–1974), lived until the age of 107, and also had two uncles who lived to be centenarians.
His wife, Vera, died in 2010 at the age of 96, after 74 years of marriage. Vera's sister, Lena Morehouse (1909–2015), died at the age of 106. He had five children, 14 grandchildren, 25 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.
Following the death of Robert Wiener on 17 February 2019, Hawkins became the oldest known Canadian-born man until his own death in September 2021.
His last surviving sibling, Clara Jean Turner, died in 2020 at the age of 99.
Arnold Hawkins died in Beaver Harbor, New Brunswick, Canada on 18 September 2021 at the age of 110 years, 231 days.
- 108-year-old from Beaver Harbour may be the oldest man in New Brunswick CBC News, 30 January 2019
- New Brunswick man believed to be the oldest in Canada celebrates 109th birthday Global News. 30 January 2020
- Clara Jean Turner Obituary Tribute Archive, 6 October 2020
- Beaver Harbour, N.B., man is the latest to join elite supercentenarian club CBC News, 30 January 2021
- Vera Arlene Hawkins (Morse) BillionGraves
- Beaver Harbour has lost its own local legend. Arnold Hawkins (Gramp) passed away peacefully surrounded by family yesterday evening Life at 110 - Canada's Grandpa (Facebook), 19 September 2021
- 'Canada's Grandpa' Dies At 110 Country 94, 19 September 2021