Geisler in June 2020, at the age of 101
|Birth:||21 February 1919|
Skansen, Qeqertalik, Greenland
|Age:||102 years, 165 days|
Anton Geisler [sometimes spelled Anthon] (born 21 February 1919) is a Greenlander centenarian who is currently the oldest living person in Greenland and possibly the oldest person ever from Greenland depending on the date of Agnethe Fencker's death. He is the first (known) male centenarian from Greenland and is also the last known Greenlander person born in the 1910's decade.
Anton Geisler (Arne Samuel Karl Anton Geisler) was born and raised in the now abandoned settlement of Aamaruutissat (Skansen), near Qeqertarsuaq, Qeqertalik, Greenland. At the age of 18, Geisler started working in a shop in Maamorilik, Qaasuitsup. After that, he worked as a cook aboard the ship "Tulla", and later as a waiter in the village of Ivittuut. Geisler moved to Denmark where he was educated to became a baker. In 1952, he returned to Ilulissat after education in Denmark. He got a job at the town’s bakery and was there until the beginning of 1970s, when he started a coffee bar. Later, the coffee bar became his residence.
On the National Day of 2011, Geisler was awarded with the Qaasuitsup Kommunias Cultural Award for his long-standing work. Geisler became the oldest living person in Greenland following the death of a 98-year-old person in April 2015. In 2018, he said: "I want to work as long as I can, I fear that I will get stuck if I stop working. But I know that at some point I will need to stop working".
In February 2019, Geisler celebrated his 100th birthday and became the first (known) male centenarian from Greenland. Geisler worked in his shop every single day from 2/3 PM to 9 PM until he retired in June 2020 at the age of 101.
On 31 July 2021, Geisler surpassed the final minimum age of Agnethe Fencker, making him possibly the oldest person ever from Greenland depending on her date of death.
- Churchbook 1888 - 1930 Qeqertarsuaq (Godhavn) / Page No. 55 - Born Danish Family Search
- ANTON GEISLER Greenlandtoday, 19 November 2013
- Erhvervsaktiv kioskejer fylder 99 år Sermitsiaq, 21 February 2018
- Anthon Geisler fylder 100 år og går på arbejde hver dag KNR, 21 February 2019
- 101 ára gamli Anton: Nú tyngir aldurin in.fo, 21 February 2020
- 101 år: Grønlands ældste erhvervsdrivende er gået på pension KNR, 14 June 2020
- Anthonip 102-nik ukioqalernera persuarsiutigineqarpoq Avannaata Kommunia, 22 February 2021