Anne Brasz-Later on her 105th birthday
|Birth:||16 July 1906|
Goes, Zeeland, Netherlands
|Death:||2 September 2020|
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
|Age:||114 years, 48 days|
Anne Brasz-Later (16 July 1906 – 2 September 2020), sometimes spelt as An Brasz-Later, was a Dutch supercentenarian whose age has been validated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). She was the oldest person in the Netherlands since the death of Geertje Kuijntjes on 24 December 2019. She was also the last living Dutch person born in both 1906 and the 1900s. In addition, she was the tenth-oldest validated person in the world.
Anne Brasz-Later was born in Goes in the province of Zeeland, Netherlands on 16 July 1906. She gave birth to three children: Hendrik Brasz in 1933 (who now lives in Australia). Elisabeth Cummings in 1934 (who moved from Portland, Oregon, USA to take care of her) and an unnamed daughter in 1936.
At the age of 3, Brasz-Later moved to Indonesia (then the Dutch colony 'Dutch East Indies') and lived there for 40 years. In 1938, she became a widow after her husband died in a car accident. After the independence of Indonesia, she returned to her native country in 1949, at age 43, being penniless. In 1955, Brasz-Later settled in Utrecht and worked at the writing room and correction department of the municipality for almost 25 years. In her later years, she moved to an apartment near a retirement home in Utrecht. Despite avoiding the media to talk about her age, her daughter Elisabeth stated that Brasz-Later, at age 110, was fine, still remembered most things very good and, if it was possible, that she planned staying here for a while.
On 16 July 2018, she celebrated her 112th birthday. This made Kuijntjes and Brasz-Later the first two Dutch supercentenarians who were both alive at the age of 112, as well as 113. On 16 July 2020, she celebrated her 114th birthday and became the third Dutch supercentenarian to reach this age. Brasz-Later was validated by the GRG on 14 January 2019.
Following the death of Geertje Kuijntjes of Gorinchem on 24 December 2019, Anne Brasz-Later became the oldest living person in the Netherlands. At that time, she was said to be still quite alert, despite being wheelchair-bound and losing her eyesight.
- Oudste inwoner Utrecht viert 107e verjaardag DUIC, 16 July 2013
- 110-jarige Utrechtse is bijna de oudste in het land Algemeen Dagblad, 29 July 2016
- Utrechtse An Brasz viert 112e verjaardag RTV Utrecht, 16 July 2018
- Oudste Nederlander (113) woont in Utrecht: 'Erg kwiek ondanks rolstoel en slecht zicht' RTV Utrecht, 24 December 2019
- 114 kaarsjes voor Utrechtse Anne Brasz: oudste inwoner van het land viert verjaardag RTV Utrecht, 16 July 2020
- Death mention Facebook Post, 2 September 2020
- Oudste inwoner van Nederland overleden: Anne Brasz uit Utrecht is 114 jaar geworden RTV Utrecht, 9 September 2020