Anna Garrett on her 109th birthday
|Birth:||26 July 1908|
Sparta, Georgia, USA
|Death:||27 May 2021|
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
|Age:||112 years, 305 days|
Anna Ethelina Garrett (née Byrdsong; 26 July 1908 – 27 May 2021) was an American supercentenarian and the fourth-oldest known person ever to live in the U.S. state of Indiana. Her age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
Anna Byrdsong was born in Sparta, Georgia on 26 July 1908. Her parents were Ashely Brydsong/Byrdsong and Elsie Stanley. She had 15 siblings. She moved to Indianapolis, Indiana in 1922. Her father was a sharecropper, and when Anna was young she helped her father in the fields.
She married James Garrett (born 1910) in 1931. The couple had two children: Joyce Irvin (born December 1940) and Saundra Tucker (born February 1945). She was widowed in 1993.
On her 108th birthday, Garrett had seven grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild. She also had one living sister, Gertrina Ellerson (born 1924), and many nieces and nephews and other relatives.
Garrett became the oldest known living person in Indiana on 22 October 2019, aged 111, following the death of 111-year-old Lester Townsend.
Anna Garrett died in Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, at the age of 112 years, 305 days. She was survived by her sister Gertrina Ellerson, her two daughters, five grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, her great-great-grandson Aidan Gonzales, many nieces, nephews and cousins.
- Anna E Brydsong Geni
- Smart Matches™ (5) MyHeritage - born 26 July 1912
- Anna Garrett in the 1940 Census supports 1912
- But both the Census, 1910 and Census, 1920 supports 1908.
- Helen A. Taylor Obituary Legacy.com
- William S. Byrdsong Obituary Legacy.com
- Indiana woman celebrates 108th birthday WISHTV.com, 26 July 2016
- 109th birthday Facebook Post, 30 July 2017
- 110th birthday Facebook Post, 30 July 2018
- 111th birthday Facebook Post, 31 July 2019
- Woman celebrates 112th birthday, becomes oldest living person in Indiana, family says FOX59, 26 July 2020
- Rest in Heaven Grandma Anna E. Garrett (née Byrdsong) July 26, 1908 - May 27, 2021 Paul Irvin on Facebook, 30 May 2021
- Anna E Garrett Obituary Lavenia & Summers