|Anna Del Priore|
Del Priore in 2020, after surviving COVID-19 at the age of 107
|Birth:||5 September 1912|
Brooklyn, New York, USA
|Age:||108 years, 283 days|
Anna Del Priore (née Ianelli; born 5 September 1912) is an American centenarian who is one of the oldest known survivors of COVID-19, having recovered from the disease at the age of 107. She also recovered from Spanish Flu more than a century beforehand, making her one of a small number of people to have survived contracting both diseases.
Early Life and Family
Del Priore was born on 5 September 1912 in Brooklyn, New York, USA. Her parents were both deaf and taught sign language. She had five siblings, one of whom, Helen Guzzone (born 5 September 1915), is still living as of October 2020 and is exactly three years younger than Del Priore. At the age of six, Del Priore survived the Spanish Flu during the 1918-19 pandemic.
Del Priore worked as a seamstress. She was married to Frank Del Priore, a professional tango dancer, with whom she would often go dancing. The couple had two daughters who are now both deceased.
Later Life and COVID-19 Survival
Until she turned 100, Del Priore lived with her granddaughter and would walk over a mile every day to meet up with friends for coffee at McDonald’s. In 2013, she moved to an assisted living facility in Middletown, New Jersey, where she currently lives in the memory unit. Del Priore has credited her longevity to a Mediterranean diet, eating dishes with fish, olive oil, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, and pasta.
In May 2020, Del Priore contracted COVID-19 during the coronavirus pandemic. She reportedly suffered from a fever, coughing, and a lack of appetite, but never had breathing issues and did not require hospitalisation or ventilator treatment. She successfully recovered from the disease in June. At the age of 107, she is one of the oldest known survivors of the disease. Her sister, Helen Guzzone, reportedly also survived Spanish Flu and beat COVID-19 at the age of 104. Del Priore celebrated her 108th birthday in September 2020.
- THERE WERE NEVER SUCH DEVOTED SISTERS Brooklyn Paper, 24 September 2015
- Middletown’s Anna Del Priore Has the Secret To Long Life The Two River Times, 16 September 2019
- NJ woman, 107, has survived coronavirus and Spanish flu in her lifetime: report Fox News, 11 August 2020
- Middletown Woman, 107, Beat Coronavirus And Spanish Flu Patch, 12 August 2020
- Sunrise Resident Beats Spanish Flu and Coronavirus in nearly 108 Trips around the Sun Sunrise Senior Living, 12 August 2020
- 107-Year-Old N.J. Woman Survives Spanish Flu And COVID-19, Says God And Hot Peppers Keys To Her Incredible Longevity CBS New York, 13 August 2020
- New Jersey Woman Who Survived Spanish Flu, COVID-19 Celebrates 108th Birthday CBS New York, 5 September 2020
- Anna Del Priore And Helen Guzzone, Sisters Over 100, Survived 1918 Flu And COVID Infections International Business Times, 23 October 2020