Vela-Rubio on her 115th birthday
|Birth:||29 October 1901|
Puente Genil, Cordoba, Spain
|Death:||15 December 2017|
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
|Age:||116 years, 47 days|
Ana Maria Vela-Rubio (29 October 1901 – 15 December 2017) was a Spanish supercentenarian who holds the record for the oldest ever person from Spain whose age is validated by the Gerontology Research Group. At the time of her death, she was also the oldest living person in Europe and the third-oldest person in the world.
Vela-Rubio was born on 29 October 1901 in Puente Genil, Cordoba, Spain. She was orphaned as a child. As a young woman, she worked in a food store in Malaga, Spain. In 1950, she moved to Barcelona with her partner. She never married her partner because her parents didn't approve of their relationship. They had four children: Carmelita (who died aged 10), Antonio, Ana, and Juan.
In 2005, Vela-Rubio moved in to a nursing home in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. She suffered from dementia in her later life. She died on 15 December 2017 at the age of 116 years, 47 days.
Vela-Rubio became the oldest living person in Spain following the death of Francisca Garcia Torres on 25 February 2014. She later also became the oldest living person in Europe following the death of Emma Morano on 15 April 2017.
On 6 June 2016, Vela-Rubio became the oldest validated person in the history of Spain, surpassing the previous record of 114 years, 221 days set by Maria Antonia Castro.
On 29 October 2017, Vela-Rubio celebrated her 116th birthday, becoming one of only five people in the history of Europe to have reached this age.
- GRG World Supercentenarian Rankings List Gerontology Research Group
- Bondad y alegría, el secreto para vivir 110 años Lavanguardia, 2 November 2011
- El gen Matusalén El Mundo, 27 July 2014
- Ana Vela se convierte a sus 114 años en la más longeva de la historia de España El Pais, 6 June 2016
- Happy 115th birthday to Ana Vela Rubio Spain Buddy, 31 October 2016
- Happy 115th Birthday to Spain's oldest woman ever The Local, 31 October 2016
- Muere la española Ana Vela, la persona más longeva de Europa, a los 116 años El País, 15 Dec 2017