Amy Hawkins on her 110th birthday.
|Birth:||24 January 1911|
Cardiff, Wales, UK
|Age:||110 years, 140 days|
Amy Hawkins was born in Cardiff, Wales, UK on 24 January 1911, the daughter of Alfred and Maude. She had five brothers and one sister. Her family moved to Newport when she was three years.
She is one of the last people to witness the 1919 race riots in Newport. She first voted in 1935.
She was a professional dancer as a teenager and then worked as a window-dresser, until her daughter was born in 1947, before she returned to work in her late 50s.
She married George Hawkins, a sign-writer in 1937. The couple had one daughter Rosemary Morris (born 1947). After the death of her husband in 1996, she moved in with her daughter and son-in-law Rob.
She has two granddaughters Tamzin Powell (born 1967) and Hannah Freeman (born 1981) and two great-grandchildren Sacha and Mabli.
Her sister Lil Thomas (born 3 December 1919) celebrated her 101th birthday in December 2020.
Amy Hawkins currently lives in Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales, UK, at the age of 110 years, 140 days.
- 'Lots of butter is the secret,’ says 106-year-old on birthday celebrations South Wales Argus, 30 January 2017
- 106-year-old turned away without a vote in Monmouthshire BBC, 9 June 2017
- Music central to Monmouth 107-year-old's birthday bash South Wales Argus, 5 February 2018
- Wales oldest person, Amy Hawkins, who is 108, looks back at early life in Newport and living through two world wars South Wales Argus, 26 January 2019
- The Welsh woman who can remember the 1919 race riots BBC, 6 July 2019
- Woman who was born a year after the end of the First World War is joined by her 108-year-old sister for her 100th birthday Daily Mail, 6 December 2019
- 108-year-old woman won’t let atrocious weather stop her voting Metro, 12 December 2019
- Lil Thomas' 101th birthday Twitter Post, 3 December 2020
- 110th birthday Twitter Post, 24 January 2021
- All Validated British Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain