|Birth:||16 December 1897|
Bastrop, Texas, USA
|Death:||18 December 2008|
Cedar Creek, Texas, USA
|Age:||111 years, 2 days|
Amanda Jones (née Roberts; 16 December 1897/1898 – 18 December 2008) was an American supercentenarian whose age is currently pending by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG).
She was born on 16 December 1897/1898 in Bastrop, Texas and grew up in a farm in in Alum Creek, Texas, to Emanuel Alfred Roberts, a slave who was emancipated in 1865 at age of 12 and Moriah Josephine Washington. She had 12 siblings.
She married C.L. Jones Sr who died in died in 1990. The couple had 10 children, including Eloise Baker (aged 75), Ruth Jones (aged 73) and Joyce Jones (aged 68). She had 33 grandchildren, including Brenda Baker (aged 44).
She had been a housewife for 72 years. For well over ten years she worked as a maid for $20 a month. She cast a vote for Barack Obama in the 2008 US presidental elections.
She died in Cedar Creek, Texas on 18 December 2008 at the age of 110/111 years, 2 days.
- Find A Grave Memorial
- Slave's daughter who voted for Barack Obama dies aged 110 The Telegraph
- At 109, Slave's Daughter Revels In Historic Vote NPR
- Amanda R. Jones - Daughter of slave, 110 Inquirer.com
- Daughter of slave votes for Obama The History Blog
- Daughter of Slave Votes, Recalls Struggle ABC News
- Daughter of slave votes for Obama Changing Places
- Amanda Jones Obituary Legacy.com
- On Voting, Amanda Jones & What We Owe Our Ancestors Medium.com