Albano Andrade in 2019
|Birth:||14 December 1909|
Sao Miguel de Souto, Santa Maria da Feira, Aveiro, Portugal
|Death:||29 June 2021|
Santa Maria da Feira, Aveiro, Portugal
|Age:||111 years, 197 days|
Albano Ferreira Andrade (14 December 1909 — 29 June 2021) was a Portuguese supercentenarian who, together with his younger brother Alberto Andrade, was notable for being the oldest living pair of brothers in the world validated by Guinness World Records. He was the only living male supercentenarian who had been validated and was the second-oldest living person in Portugal, after Maria da Encarnacao Sousa at time of his death.
Albano Andrade was born in Sao Miguel de Souto, Santa Maria da Feira, Aveiro, Portugal on 14 December 1909. His younger brother Alberto was born on 2 December 1911.
Andrade completed school until fourth grade, when old enough, he passed an entrance exam and became a teacher. Andrade gave up this career when he would have to move away from his family to a remote school. Despite retiring from teaching, Andrade kept up with reading and staying current with politics.
Andrade never married (by his own choice) and never had any children, choosing to live with family instead.
Andrade played violin from his youth, and was still able to play into his centenarian years, simmilar to his brother who played the saxophone in a philharmonic band.
When visited by The American Geriatric Society in 2013, Albano was still able to live independently and complete daily activites, he rarely took medications and had no health problems.
He became the oldest known living man in Portugal following the death of 108-year-old Manuel Rodrigues Horta between 21 and 23 August 2016.
In 2019, he and his brother were 109 and 107 years old respectively, and lived in Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal. Their combined age as of 2 April 2019 was an incredible 216 years, 230 days. Albano and Alberto were both born in their family home in Portugal, where they have lived their entire lives.
There was also a history of longevity in his family: his mother died at the age of 96 and his father at the age of 95. One of his nephews (the son of his oldest sister) died at 101 years old, and another one turned 100 in 2020.
In December 2019, he celebrated his 110th birthday.
Andrade died in Santa Maria da Feira, Aveiro, Portugal on 29 June 2021 at the age of 111 years, 197 days. Following his death, his brother Alberto Andrade became the oldest known living man in Portugal.
His brother Alberto Andrade died on 8 October 2021 at the age of 109 years, 310 days.
- 100th Birthday Youtube, 15 January 2010
- Facebook Post, 13 March 2018
- Emídio Sousa de visita aos “Avós” do concelho Diário de Aveiro, 15 March 2018
- Oldest brothers with combined age of 216 set new record for living siblings Guinness World Records, 3 June 2019
- Exceptional Siblings: The Andrade Brothers Wiley Online Library, 9 March 2020
- Conheça a incrível vida dos irmãos Andrade Correio da Manhã, 22 November 2020
- OS IRMÃOS MAIS VELHOS DO MUNDO: OS PORTUGUESES ALBANO E ALBERTO TÊM 111 E 109 ANOS, 10 February 2021
- Baptism Record (Nº77) - Page m0079.tif
- Morreu Albano Andrade, metade da dupla dos irmãos mais velhos do mundo Publico, 30 June 2021
- Faleceu com 109 anos o outro irmão centenário da Feira Jornal de Notícias, 9 October 2021
|Portugal's Oldest Living Man Titleholders (V • E)|
Antonio de Almeida • (Unknown) • Jose Ferreira Andrade • (Unknown) • Jose Maria Hermano Baptista • Jose Luis Ladeira • Augusto Moreira de Oliveira • Antonio de Castro • (Unknown) • Manuel dos Santos • Manuel Rodrigues Horta • Albano Andrade • Alberto Andrade • Jose Martins